• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a Win 7 Upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kagee108

What INTEL socket 775 mobo,
On-board Video
and CPU would you suggest?

NO gaming, no overclocking
Office computer use... Email, Internet, Fax
Some Video and image processing.

Perfectly content with current set-up but want to upgrade to Win 7
Abit is gone, and my ATI 9600 PRO vid card is not on the compatibility list.

Looking to keep the buget around $200 for mobo, CPU and RAM.
Many thanks for your response.

mostly likly a G41/G43/G45 based board. G45 having blueray deconding abilities. G4x's will be cooler running chipsets then G3x's.

ok, here is my suggestion given what your after.
ECS G45T-M2
Intel Celeron E3200(dual core, 1Mb L2, 2.4ghz)
G.SKILL F2-6400CL4D-2GBPK

Total $182.97

It will be nice upgrade for you and dont worry about it being a celeron cpu. the celeron name they gave it isnt fitting, this isnt your yesteryear celeron. this is still a core 2 based cpu but with just 1mb L2. for what your doing 1mb is more then enough, way more... it is also a 45nm cpu so it will run cooler then say a Core 2 65nm part.

I love budget builds. Always a lot of interesting ways to go with it.

Here's what I'd do for $200 for an Intel system with integrated video.
Gigabyte G31M-ES2L
Intel Pentium E5300
Corsair 2x2GB DDR2-800 kit

$200 could also make a handy AMD kit, too. I know it's not the section you asked in, but you get better-quality integrated chipsets with AMD 780G/785G/790GX or Nvidia GeForce 8000 based motherboards.
ASRock A780GXE/128M
AMD Athlon II X2 240
Same memory as the above configuration... but the AMD system has 128MB of dedicated memory for the onboard video. Intel systems, as far as I know, will always be leaching system memory.

Either way, Win7 should run them happily. I use 4GB configs just because... get while the gettin's cheap. 2GB would save you $30 or so, but 4GB may allow you to work with large video files if you wanted to do that kind of thing at some point.

Back