• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

D815EEA2 intel motherboard Ram max?????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deathhorse

Hello guys got a pc for free its older but i thought it would be fun to play with.

the max ram it says it can hold is 512mb of pc133

at the moment i have:

128 pc133
256 pc100

there are three slots for ram

Can i put more then 512mb of ram or will i fry the computer???

i have another stick of 256 but dont want to break my system then i have an old broken pc rather then an old working pc.

I don't think it would fry the board...it just might not boot.
You have the 815E chipset? the max IS 512mb..but if it is an Intel brand, then you cannot overclock it without some sort of Softfsb or SetFsb program..and you will need to know the PLL chip that controls the clock generator.
take out the 128 and use the 256mb stick and you will have full ram capability.

thanks

I heard there was a jumper that i could move to achieve 1ghz which is the max the board can operate.

Is it bad to run mixed ram, for instance would pc100 + pc133 run slower then just 133. I know ram clocks down to the lowest speed.

2 matched pairs of some PC133 ram. 256mb. That is your best bet for
the 815 chipset. If you can find some rated to run CAS 2 at that speed, you
will have the best results.

And you are correct, if you mix pc100 and pc133 it will run at pc100 speed.

I actually had some mixed ram in my 815E board (Abit SH6) I had some pc66 and some pc100 and ran both at 140mhz @ 2-2-2. I also have some mixed mushkin pc133 high perf v2 and v3 which when mixed together would run at 160+ @2-2-2. Funny thing though, each stick would not go over 150mhz alone but together they topped out around 161-162mhz :screwy:

If the Intel board will let you...you could experiment with the old ram and change timings and speeds and see how far you could push it, and don't be afraid to mix n match (that is if the board will let you run the ram as you want).
The 815 chipset was one of the 1st to give a few ram options...and if you have enough slots, it won't hurt to put in all 640mb..and if it don't boot, take out the 128 stick.

yeah it didnt boot with the 640mb

its funny how ram can be tweaked to run ways that i didnt think were possible 10 years ago

My i815 board (TUSL2-C) boots with 640MB in, but only recognizes 512. IMHO the (older) i440BX boards are better, as they support 1GB of memory and any s370 CPU with a slocket.

Yea, I forgot 1 important thing..I don't know if it is a chipset limit, or just my SH6, but in the manual it clearly stated the board supports up to 512mb..Could be the chipset, because at the time, Intel was scrambling to try to get a workable chipset with support for sdram instead of rdram. Intel put out the i815E chipset out after the i820 debacle....in the meantime, AMD put out a chipset that had support for DDR sdram, and Intel took a big hit becouse of it, and with the Durons having the pencil trick to unlock the multi, Intel was slamdunked (momentarily) and they had to play catchup with AMD :)

As a sidenote, i820 was actually a really good chipset as long as you stuck with RDRAM. The problem was with the 82805 Memory Translator Hub, which was an add-on chip for SDRAM support.

Yea, You're right there JCLW, rdram was at the time faster than sdram, not sure about DDR though...I seem to remember two flavors of RDRAM frequency..I know there were comparisons between ddr and rdram, but twas so long ago...way back in the twentieth century :)

Back