• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can someone explain CPU-Z results to me?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

imacken

Registered
I have a Asus P6T Deluxe v2, i7 920 @ 3.8GHz, 3 x 2Gb Corsair DDR3 1600MHz 8-8-8-24, and GTX 285 (Graphics clock 700MHz, Processor clock 1476MHz and Memory clock 2560MHz.
I have attached a screen shot of my CPU-Z results.
Can some explain why the results for the RAM and Graphics don't seem to be anything like the specs I expected?
I understand the CPU one because of the stepping effect - it goes up to 3.8GHx when stressed, but the others?

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 4,300
The nvidia card is probably just throttling to lower heat and save power. Give Crysis and it will start to power up.

For the RAM:

RAM these days are DDR (DOUBLE data rate). So the DRAM frequency shown on CPUZ will be doubled to achieve the rated speed your RAM is at. So 760*2 = 1520 which kinda close to your rated speed.

I have a Asus P6T Deluxe v2, i7 920 @ 3.8GHz, 3 x 2Gb Corsair DDR3 1600MHz 8-8-8-24, and GTX 285 (Graphics clock 700MHz, Processor clock 1476MHz and Memory clock 2560MHz.
I have attached a screen shot of my CPU-Z results.
Can some explain why the results for the RAM and Graphics don't seem to be anything like the specs I expected?
I understand the CPU one because of the stepping effect - it goes up to 3.8GHx when stressed, but the others?

Your RAM looks low because it's giving you a base frequency.
I read 533 on my 1066DDR 2. (2x533=1066)

DDR 3 runs triple base frequency. Your frequency you indicated that you expect your RAM to run at, divided by 3, is 753.3
That isn't 760. Small read errors like that have happened to me too, but it's where you'd expect it.
CPU may read lower due to speedstep if not disabled (do "i" cores still do speedstep?)

the GPU may be throttling.

I'd download the latest rivatuner and see what it detects as the default clocks. Probably dead on what you'd expect.

Run PRIME 95 in the background and check the numbers. I suspect your CPU clock will go to where you expect it. If the GPU clock doesn't it's either misreading or that's a base frequency for something.

Failing the above, PM me your adress and I will gladly swap PC's with you and even cover shipping. I'm very familiar with my board and can give you all the tweaking tips you'll ever need to scream at about 1/5th the performance of your current computer.

Thanks guys.
As I said in the original post, I wasn't concerned about the CPU as it is the speedstep effect there.
I'm confused by the RAM though. jgv115 says that speed is doubled to make the rated - that made sense to me. (The reason for the 1520 rather than 1600 is down to the way the BIOS seems to handle the O/C CPU settings.) Then I became confused by Theocnoob and the 'dividing by 3' thing! Divide what by 3? Don't see where the 760*3=2280 comes in.
Rivatuner confirmed the GPU results OK.

DDR 3 runs triple base frequency. Your frequency you indicated that you expect your RAM to run at, divided by 3, is 753.3
That isn't 760. Small read errors like that have happened to me too, but it's where you'd expect it.
CPU may read lower due to speedstep if not disabled (do "i" cores still do speedstep?)

umm no it doesnt, DDR is still dual data rate, the 3 just means it is another generation of DDR. as what your implying is that first gen DDR would have been single data rate. though that is what SDR is, single data rate ram. all intel cpus starting with core 2 will carry speedstep/EIST to lower power usage at a idle state. all gpus since what ati3000 and NV8000's have power savings as well from lowering their gpu speed.

i would use GPUZ instead of rivatuner...

When you overclocked your CPU, did you leave your RAM speed set to AUTO, if so then it turned itself back to compensate for the increased Base Clock you set. Always make sure you set your RAM timings, speed, and voltage manually, they should be listed on a sticker on the RAM sticks. You may need to adjust the speed lower, due the increase in your Base Clock for overclocking the CPU. There is an art/science to matching CPU and RAM speeds. I'm surprised it's even remotely stable at CL4

Your GPU is simply running in 2D mode, it won't ramp up until it needs too, just like your CPU. Definitely check out GPU-Z, as it will display the default clocks, along with the current clocks.

OK guys, thanks a lot for your help. It's all clear to me now.
Yep, don't know where that CL4 came from, CPU-Z now says CL8!

Bummer, I was hoping your mem was really running CL4...I would have bought it off you :p

I think all Asus X58 boards have a bug when waking up from S3 sleep they show the wrong tCL and my P6T6 does the same thing.

Guys, can you explain something else to me? Why is it that when I set the CPU to Auto, and the DRAM speed to 1520 that it gets set to 1023 on boot up?
When I o/c the i7 to manual 20 ratio x 190, the DRAM gets set to 1520.

Guys, can you explain something else to me? Why is it that when I set the CPU to Auto, and the DRAM speed to 1520 that it gets set to 1023 on boot up?
When I o/c the i7 to manual 20 ratio x 190, the DRAM gets set to 1520.

what exactly are you setting to auto for the cpu?

Asks the man running triple channel RAM :confused:

im not confused, why are you? im just asking where he is getting that from. from the way i read his post, he is saying DDR3 = triple channel. i wont be running tri-channel much longer after my new kit gets here.

Ram type doesn't have the slightest thing to do with the number of channels.
You could run EDO ram in fifteen channels if you wanted to, or DDR3 in single channel, or DDR2 in quad channel.
It's the motherboard that makes the difference.

Back