• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bios update for Maximus Formula (so I don't need to press F1)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Achilleus

Hello all,
I'm a software developer and sometimes have a need to restart my home PC remotely, but the BIOS annoyingly says it needs to be "upgraded" to "unleash the fulll potential of my system", and requires me to press the F1 key to continue.

I'm not interested in OC'ing or cooling or otherwise messing with my system, I just want it to NOT require this F1 press.

Can anyone point me where to start here. The ASUS site has no downloads for my motherboard, and the AMIBIOS utility tells me its not a true AMI and so there is no update from them either. What should I do?

This is my system:

Q9650 quad core 3GHz on an Asus Maximus Formula/SE MB,
serial 7AMCAI022644

Thanks for any help.

AMIBIOS Motherboard Manufacturer Identification
Version 1.4 (01/12/2004) Copyright 2003 American Megatrends, Inc.

This file has recorded information useful in identifying the manufacturer
of this motherboard. The information is listed below:

An AMIBIOS ID String Was Detected:
65-0401-000001-00101111-092107-Bearlake
- ---- ------ ------
| | | |
| | | Chipset/BIOS Info
| | BIOS Build Date
| Manufacturer ID
BIOS ROM Information
AMIBIOS ROM Size: 2048 KB
BIOS Build Date: Sep 21 2007
Motherboard Manufacturer Code: 0001 Not listed in MAN.DAT file

AMIBIOS Build Tag: A0875002
AMIBIOS Project ID: A0875002 Not listed in TAG.DAT file

For more information on upgrading your BIOS go to http://www.ami.com/support/bios.cfm?refer=mbid
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SMBIOS info:
Manufacturer : ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Product Name : Maximus Formula
Version : Rev 1.xx
Serial Number: MS1C79B9JN00196

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AMIDIAG Suite tests and diagnoses every hardware subsystem on your PC!
A professional tool for developers, manufacturers and technicians.
Go to www.amidiag.com for more information on AMIDiag.

I'm pretty sure there should be a BIOS setting to disable that. Quick boot or something. I never had that on my board when I was using the Maximus BIOS.

iirc it displays that message because your current bios does not support your quad E0 stepping chip, you should flash to the latest stable bios for full cpu support regardless if you want to overclock or not. It will help for proper monitoring of the chip if you use programs like Everest.

iirc it displays that message because your current bios does not support your quad E0 stepping chip, you should flash to the latest stable bios for full cpu support regardless if you want to overclock or not. It will help for proper monitoring of the chip if you use programs like Everest.

Thanks all. I understand what needs to be done, I just don't know where to get the update.

Back