• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q6600 OC Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

youngMachete

So I've been toying around with my Q6600 for the past couple days, trying to get it completely stable @ 3.6Ghz. I was successful, but I had to drop the CPU multiplier down from 9 to 8. and 1800QDR / 900Mhz RAM.

My question is why was I able to make it stable at this setting but not with a multiplier of 9 and 1600QDR / 800 Mhz RAM? Also, is the proc any less powerful with the lower multiplier? Thanks in advance:)

So I've been toying around with my Q6600 for the past couple days, trying to get it completely stable @ 3.6Ghz. I was successful, but I had to drop the CPU multiplier down from 9 to 8. and 1800QDR / 900Mhz RAM.

My question is why was I able to make it stable at this setting but not with a multiplier of 9 and 1600QDR / 800 Mhz RAM? Also, is the proc any less powerful with the lower multiplier? Thanks in advance:)
YoungMachete...
Could we have detailed system specs featured in a sig???
Thanx!

Actually the higher QDR (FSB [450] x 4 = 1800) will actually mean a faster running CPU. The reason for this is that the FSB is the speed at which data enters and leaves the CPU. It also helps the memory in the same way. Basically you are looking at 400 cycles per second, compared to 450 cycles per second. I hope this helps.

Actually the higher QDR (FSB [450] x 4 = 1800) will actually mean a faster running CPU. The reason for this is that the FSB is the speed at which data enters and leaves the CPU. It also helps the memory in the same way. Basically you are looking at 400 cycles per second, compared to 450 cycles per second. I hope this helps.
Why don't you benchmark that and see?
Bench 400x9 vs 450x8.

Back