• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

733subvet

Registered
Hi to all !

i am new to this forum & overclocking in general and need help please!

i am building a new gaming rig and have had nothing but issues with it during the build :bang head

system specs are:

- intel I7 950 w/corsair H50 cooling
- MSI Eclipse plus mobo (bios v 1.0)
- 2 BFG 975 video cards
- 4 WD black 1TB hardrives - 2 in a raid 0, 1 for photos & video, 1 for music
- Patriot Extreme Performance Viper Series 12 GB (6 x 2GB) PC3-10666 DDR3-1333 Six-Channel Kit - PVT312G1333LLHK
- Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional Series Sound Card
- Vista Ultimate 64bit

i have been trying to get this going for over a month and finally have it running SORT OF!

MY ISSUE BEING MOBO & VISTA ONLY SEE 8GB OF MEMORY NOT 12GB !

i am not necessarily looking to overclock it YET - just find out why i have the memory issue

i have swapped 3 different mobos ( 2 asus p6t deluxe & the MSI eclipse plus), swapped out harddrives, went from corsair dominator to the patriot matched set and still only 8gb NOT 12gb

PLEASE HELP !

download cpuz and go to the SPD tab, then go thru the drop down. look to see as you select the dimm the info populates in that window. after that check out the memory tab and see what it shows for amount of ram.

What are the current DRAM and QPI voltages set to? Manually set the DRAM voltage to 1.65V and the QPI voltage to 1.35V (assuming the optimal differential voltage on your board is 0.3V), along w/ the four primary RAM timings to 7-7-7-20 (all sub-timings on AUTO except for 1N/2N Memory Timing; set to 2N for the time being).

ok - i am now at the WTF stage ! i have tried what redduc900 said and i get the system reboot with PREVIOUS OVERCLOCK HAS FAILED with all 6 sticks in :bang head

system & bios still only see 8gb not my full 12

should i just put 1 stick in THEN set the timing - then all other 5 sticks 1 at a time ?

this really ****ing me off now :mad:

Last edited:
Boot with 1 stick in and change the mem voltage to 1.65 and set your timings, then save and exit and let the computer boot up. Shut down and then put the remaining sticks in, Otherwise start by testing 3 sticks at a time at their rated voltage and timings, Run memtest for a few hours on each of the 3 sets, if none fail then put all 6 sticks back in, boot, but each time you reboot remove 1 stick of ram, if your 8gb drops to 6 when you remove a stick then you know thats a good slot. If it doesnt then its a bad dimm slot. There were some BIOS issues i had with my eclipse oplus build for my neighbor so you may wanna try a new BIOS. It is possible that the board shipped with a severed voltage line to a pair of dimm slots. Exaust all testing options, but in the end dont be afraid to RMA the board.

Set the Memory Ratio to 8, still while at a Base Clock of 133 MHz, for an Adjusted DRAM Frequency of 1066 MHz. Reset the QPI Voltage to AUTO, and lower the DRAM Voltage to 1.50V.
Check MSI web site for a bios update, I see in your sig you have the first bios rev.
Unfortunately MSI has only released one BIOS revision for this board, rev. 1.0

Use only 3 sticks at a time (6gb). First install them in the BLUE slots. Boot, enter the BIOS, manually set the recommended RAM specs (7-7-7-20, 1.65V 1333mhz) Make sure you set the CPU back to stock (if you had it overclocked) Save and reboot... if it shows 6GB of memory... good, shut down. Now test the Black slots. If it shows 6gb, then your DIMM slots are good. If either set of slots reads 6gb but the other does not, RMA the board. If both read 6gb, test the other 3 RAM sticks, in the same manner. If they fail, RMA the RAM. Unfortunately, if your RAM is bad, you'll most likely have to send the entire set back. So either way, your computer will be out of commission (bad board or bad ram) unless you have back up's of either component.

ok here is what i have now!

system WILL NOT BOOT with 3 sticks in blue slots :bang head

system boots with 3 sticks in black slots but only sees 4098mb in general system info BUT under MEMORYZ sees all 3 slots populated with my patriot memory

i have changed the following settings:
DRAM CONFIG 1n/2n - AUTO
CAS - 7
Trcd - 7
Trp - 7
TRAS -20 clocks

memory ratio 5
advanced dram frequency - 1333

dram voltage - 1.65v

i have went on MSI webiste and they only show bios version 1

Sounds like it's not running in Triple Channel mode (not sure if this is selectable in the BIOS or not). Did you try the other three sticks, with the same outcome? Could be some bent pins in the socket as well.

i have tried everything i can think of ! i really dont know what is happeining since i had the same issue with different memory & a different manufactures motherboard

i have just sent a 3rd tech support request to MSI - they have not responded to the previous 2 - in fact i logged in and doent see my 2 previous requests !

i am about to throw this thing out the window :mad:

why not call them??
Web support is not reliable imo

MSI --> 626-581-3001
888-447-6564
There open Mon-Fri 9am-9pm EST

is spread spectrum disabled in your bios?

ok i reset the cmos and and have all 6 sticks in all 6 slots but still reads 8198MB of memory

under MEMORY-Z it reads:

MEMORY TYPE: DDR3 SDRAM
MAX BANDWIDTH: DDR3-1066 (533mhz)
MANUFACTURER: PATRIOT
PART#: 1333LL SERIES
SERIAL#: 00

SDRAM CYCLE TIME: 1.875 (1CLK)
TCL: 13.125ns (7CLK)
TRCD: 13.125ns (7CLK)
TRP: 13.125 (7CLK)
TRAS: 37.500ns (20CLK)
TRFC: 110.0ns (59CLK)