• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BSOD Bad Pool Caller

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

smoth

Last night I turned on my laptop and Win 7 failed to start encountering a Bad Pool Caller blue screen during the starting windows screen. I restarted a few times, tried the different repair modes, but nothing would fix it. So I figured I would just reinstall and that should fix whatever was causing the problem. Everything was going well, reformatted, went through the first part of the install until it gets to the point where it needs to reboot to finish installation. It reboots, but I get the same blue screen before it can finish, so now I have a system with a partially installed OS and no ideas. I ran the windows memory test with no errors, had not installed any new software or changed any of the hardware. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

What kind of system is this? Were you trying to re-install Win 7 or something else? Are you connected to the internet during installation?

this is an hp laptop (c2d 2ghz, 4gb, 320gb hdd, integrated graphics). I have had Win 7 on it running fine for almost 2 months, no signs of any problems, have not changed anything (hardware, software, settings) in weeks. Since I need a 32 bit OS to connect to the wireless at school, I am trying to reinstall Win 7 32. I am currently connected to the internet, but I will try to go through the install again without and see if that fixes anything.

That error could relate to either hardware or software, driver fault. Could have been something from Windows Update or could be more. I think Win 7 will do some updating during install if it has a connection.

Since I know it worked before when disconnected, but does not work now, I think I will have to assume that it is hardware related unless someone has another idea

What is the model number of that HP? Have you tried booting into safe or will it go that far? There is usually a cryptic code, could you get that code?

Does it boot to windows?
You can try booting in safe mode. Also try disabling firewall.

Since I tried reinstalling, and it fails during the process I cannot even boot into safe mode. During the 2-3 seconds that the blue screen is up I have looked for any details, but cannot find any. It just has the standard "windows has encountered a problem and is shutting down to avoid further damage...." then says that it is dumping memory and the thing closes.

dv4-1430us

If it were me at this point, this is what I would try;
Use a different install media or OS like Vista or the original restore disk.

Next would be looking at hardware closer, installing with different ram or pulling one stick and trying each independently even though they passed your testing. I would probably even pull the wireless card as a last resort. Only mess with the hardware if you are comfortable and there are no "Warranty Void" stickers.

Other than that, I have no ideas except calling HP which will likely start you off with a restore from factory image session and go from there.

I have attempted using the system restore discs but that fails as well. I also tried taking out each memory stick with no luck. Since all of the problems are starting when it has to access the hard drive, I am thinking my hard drive may be fried, so I have a message into HP looking for what to do next.

You can diagnose hard drive. I don't remember which function key does that but you can access bios and there should be hard drive section. From there you can run hard drive diagnostic utilities.

Yeah, I got a reply from HP saying to run that diagnosis, the only problem (cant believe i am calling it a problem) is that it passed. Running it again to confirm.

I dont know what else would be the problem. I am not having any problems getting the computer started and keeping it on for hours to run diagnosis/install attempts, so the power supply and motherboard should be fine. Dont really have any way of stressing the cpu, but the chances that the cpu is causing my problems is slim to none. RAM has passed every diagnosis test I have thrown at it in addition to being tested individually. Any other thoughts?

Did you run both of the tests, quick and extended?

You could try installing one more time. This time format partition prior to installation.

I reformatted the partition, but it is still failing.

Yes, I did run both the short and extended hdd tests.

Could you try restoring original operating os on this computer.

There could be something physically wrong with the system, possibly motherboard.

You could also try pull out the hard drive out of laptop and try installing OS with different computer. Then, later put it back to the laptop.

I guess you don't have a spare drive to try?

You said the drive formats and you get most of the way through the install, after the first reboot is where it fails, right? I really wouldn't think that would be the drive since it has been installing stuff to that point. So, if it is not the ram then it has to be something on the mobo. NB or SB maybe or one of the many integrated parts like sound or lan. Did you try removing the wireless card and installing?

It is looking like a hardware issue at any rate and you will have send it to HP for warranty service.

I have tried restoring the original OS, but it hangs indefinitely, well at least for 3 hours.

I successfully installed Win7 using the same disc to the drive on my desktop so I am fairly confident saying that the hdd is not the problem.

I removed the wireless card, but it still fails.

I also tired the memory sticks in the top slot only and found that one of them caused the system to not even boot and the scroll lock and caps lock indicator to blink.

Since all of those combination have failed, I have asked for service. Any final thoughts?

Does anyone know on average how long a repair takes. This is starting to become quite a hassle with my school work.

Seems to me you have done all that you can unless you have a spare mobo laying around.

If its under warranty then let HP deal with it and get it fixed. How old is it anyway?

It's your Ram.:drool:

if you have 2 sticks, take one out and try to boot - see if the BSOD still happens.

Last edited:
All RAM combinations result in at least a BSOD

Its just 2 months old. HP is currently sending me a box to ship it to them to fix.

Back