• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HP Laptop Power Issue - Strange!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RComp

Registered
HP DV9700 - A spill occurred on the keyboard, and apparently it didn't turn on after that. (This was some months ago)
I managed to power the laptop up by using some old laptop tricks. (Take out the battery & PS and hold the power button down for a short while and then reconnect the power cord.)

But.. when powered off for a short period of time, it doesn't seem to want to power back up unless I commence the Ritual again!!:bang head

The first time I got it to power up was when I re-seated the ram.. (I Think?)

The 2nd time for sure, I took out the battery, unplugged, then replugged the power connector and did not put the battery back in. It turned on.
The battery does not work.. (No charge, HP check says 100%, but not detected)

So.. what is going on here? Motherboard bad or something less expensive?
Any thoughts or ideas?
:bday:

I don't mean to come across as snooty but this forum is targeted toward overclockers and the area you posted in is for AMD motherboard issues. Have you looked for other forums for laptop users?

Atleast I try to help people out, forums sucks here. for laptops atleast :X

... well First thing I'd recommend is taking it apart completely and cleaning the motherboard and all the peripherals, then if that doesn't work look the mobo over and such for shorts ;)

You probably have a fried motherboard....I'm surprised it starts at all. I fixed one for a friend who spilled of all things a goldfish bowl on his tablet PC. I removed the keyboard and the water had corroded and was shorting the board. I cleaned it all up with 99% alcohol and he still uses it daily. Tear it down and look for wet/discolored spots.

Back