• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems with P55 sockets at extreme currents?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
New article talks about it being specifically foxconn sockets, but they do make a lot of them.

You can see if you are at risk by making sure that all pis are making solid contact with the pads on the CPU. Although it may be something worse than that, as they said another CPU they have with good contact is showing signs of "wear" on the pads from the current.

FWIW, it put in about 6 hours with an Evga FTW board and an x3470 CPU pushing 1.6+ vcore, 1.5+ vtt running wprime 1024 and super pi 32m at 4996mhz-5200mhz without an issue (this is under LN2)

the Evga board uses the Lotes socket, just thought I'd share my experience

foxconn getting cheap now huh? wonder why it is a problem now with them and not in the past? just seems odd to me....

I have checked mine twice so far all is normal... No I dont send 1.6 volts to my cpu

I have had as much as 1.48 for 6 hours or so and no signs of a burnt socket

Absolutely no excuse for this with gold plated contacts on both sides.

Contact surface resistance isn't the issue. Insufficient contact pressure/pin spring force looks like the issue.

Are the pin tip cross sectional areas smaller in 1156 vs 1366?

Cheap quality or poor QC.

Any issues like this with P58 sockets?

How come there is no response from the MB manufacturers to this issue? Will they simply wait for mass failures to act?

Because the issue arises only on overvolted chips, running stock have not produced such results as of yet .

Article makes of no such mention , and i haven't heard anyone report any of these issues running stock, not that i dont believe this cannot happen which it certainly could , due to some pins not having proper contact .

but a link with a quote would be nice., pictures as well .

"Hi I have problems with my 1156 i7 860 at stock speeds with it randomly rebooting and windows explorer crashing and games crashing and multiple blue screens etc. i have an asus p7p55d deluxe with the ressesion made foxconn socket! and yep my cpu has the exact same pin area not touching as the article on anandtech. this is just shoddy workmanship on foxcons part,

"

"Hi I have problems with my 1156 i7 860 at stock speeds with it randomly rebooting and windows explorer crashing and games crashing and multiple blue screens etc. i have an asus p7p55d deluxe with the ressesion made foxconn socket! and yep my cpu has the exact same pin area not touching as the article on anandtech. this is just shoddy workmanship on foxcons part,

"

I don't believe everything I read on the Internet, and I will take these anecdotes (allegedly non-overclocked/volted chips) with a grain of salt until I see a reputable source have similar experiences.

Latest I've read is that DFI, EVGA and MSI have moved their socket production to other vendors. Meanwhile, Foxconn have changed the top plate to try to correct the problem.

LOTES
lotes.jpg

Foxconn
foxconn.jpg

This concerns me. Right now my 24/7 rig is built on a maximus 3 gene w/ a foxconn equipped LGA.
I’m pushing it as little possible. I have my 750 24/7 @ 4GHz (200x20) all power saving features disabled. I have been playing around with the settings on the board, I’m @ 1.285 vcore (bios) with LLC enabled. Via CPUz prime95 loads @ 1.304, so there is a slight over-volt, but if I don’t have LLC enabled the stupid vcore jumps all over the place. I’m running the newest bios version (there have only been two)
I’m hoping ~1.3 vcore is low enough that I won’t have any burn long-term. I would like this to be my 24/7 rig until spring of next year. It runs nice and cool (much cooler then my 920 ever did) plus I don’t have that x58 making all that extra heat.
On the 23rd my 1156 bracket comes for my Black TRUE (I’m using a Noctua NH-U12 right now) so I’m gonna have a little better temps and the chance to take the chip out of the LGA and have a look at the underside. :/

I would really like to see this briefed as an article for the front page... Do we have any volunteers?

MIA, since you beat this thread to the punch? ;)

after reading more about this issue I am highly tempted to pull my CPU when i get home and confirm solid contact on all pins. i don't want to merely "assume" that just cause it's ticking along that everything is ok.

Back