• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what am i doing wrong?? vga to dvi

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

enhanced

ok guys, i cant figure this one out. i had a 19" LCD that had both vga and dvi connectors on it. ive had this thing for years but always used the vga because i didnt have a video card with dvi for a long time. i finally got a new card but could never get the monitor to switch over to dvi so i just put an adaptor on my vga cable and have been using that. today i got a new 21.5" lcd and hooked it up via dvi (this video card doesnt have HDMI) and it wont work. i tried the new dvi cable that came with it and still nothing. i used the vga cable with dvi adaptor and it works fine.... how is this possible? :bang head

Shut off the PC. Connect the DVI > DVI cable. Turn on the Monitor and make sure the DVI input is selscted. Turn on PC - Video Card will detect DVI connection and *should* work like a charm...

:cool:

..... i feel like a moron. that worked. i dont know why i didnt try it before, i just assumed it was the same signal and shouldnt have to switch on the video card.

thanks!

:welcome:

Lolz - Don't feel like a moron - as you said this is not exactly "logical" IMO. If I know this, then I've obviously been in this same predicament myself :p

:cool:

Also just as a note, most video cards these days do support HDMI if you want to use it, you just have to get a $2 adapter

Back