• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-P35-DS3L what kinds of ram can i use in it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deathhorse

What kinds of ram will this motherboard except i know 1066 would be nice but i want to spend big bucks.

The motherboard is GA-P35-DS3L
The cpu is e2140

I have a bunch of sticks of all kinds of ram

i got 1gb of pc4200 1gb of pc5300 and only 512mb of pc6400

Can this board except the old ram?????

so i know the pc6400 will work but what about the other sticks. Can i used pc5300 till i get money for 2-4gbs of pc6400

Flurp i have seen that page before not as helpful for myself.

according to the link posted by Flurp the 5300 ram will work
I dont see the 4200 listed so I would expect it not to post with that ram istalled but you could try it....
So the 5300 and the 6400 will definately work the 4200 is unknown

Deathhorse, before you buy your ram that you want to try. Check the model number of the ram against the page ;) if it's not on there it *might* work but always better to find one on there so if something goes wrong it's not the model number of ram :p

What are the actual model numbers on your ram?

Last edited:
I have the board in my son's rig, its a fussy board for ram....

Lots of ram not on the list works with it, GSkills do not work well with the board even underclocked....
The board seems to favour Kingston and Corsair even budget Major ram works well with it, power chip IC's are not very good but the board seems to love D9's and will overclock them very well, Mushkins XP2's will run but the 8500 kits needs to be underclocked to 800-900MHz anyting above that and there is stability issues.

The bios is a limiting factor, this board is not full of bios options

What kinds of ram will this motherboard except i know 1066 would be nice but i want to spend big bucks.

The motherboard is GA-P35-DS3L
The cpu is e2140

I have a bunch of sticks of all kinds of ram

i got 1gb of pc4200 1gb of pc5300 and only 512mb of pc6400

Can this board except the old ram?????

I have two GA-P35-DS3L motherboards running gskill pc6400. I think I have a couple 1gb sticks available . PM me if interested.

it all comes down to the fsb ur gonna run... the ds3l should handle just about any ram you throw at it... but your lowest divider is 1:1 so for a 333mhz fsb cpu ur gonna need ram that will do 667mhz.

Currently have some ocz stuff in my ds3l... but its been host to some hynix and some gskill as well and never had a problem.

thanks for all the help guys.

I will try them all for a learning experience. My budget is low i just want to get it up and running an will worry about "Good ram" in a few weeks.

Would you say that Crucial would work well on this board?

here a link of the stick i was looking at today
http://www.frys.com/product/5611941?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

i got about 20-30 Total to spend on ram.

i didnt understand that page to well thanks for telling me the 5300 would be possible.

with the e2140 the stock fsb on that is 200mhz, so all you need is ram that will do 400mhz (a 1:1 ram ratio)

That being said, your gonna want to get at least 2x1gb of DDR2 5300 (667mhz) or higher to allow you some headroom to oc and just have better ram performance. you dont want to buy a single 2gb stick as you wont be able to run in dual channel ram.

u should be able to get that pretty easily.... at 8x200mhz stock you should probably be able to run at 8x333mhz (2.66ghz) on stock or under stock voltages... might be able to hit 8x400 (3.2ghz) only time will tell hehe. I love the low clocked 200mhz fsb 65nm c2d's they are fun chips to play around with.

My e4300 (9x200 - 1.8ghz) does stock 1.8ghz on .9875v (stock is 1.3250) and 3ghz (9x333) at 1.2500v!!! 66% oc undervolted... ill take that!

66% undervolt very impressive

Your making me happy that it is possible to get in the 3.0ghz mark just got to play around with it

i got a question should i just run it normal for a while or can i just get straight into OCing this little C2d?

I ran my E2200 on the same model board at 3.2Ghz for a long time. Was not overly difficult either. Just had to watch the heat.
Bumped up to a quad and the thing still runs like a champ. Good budget board that you should have fun tinkering with, I know I been enjoying my board for a long time now. Pretty reliable hardware for what I've done to it.

Never had any issues with any DDR2 installed. Even dropped in some off brand 533 to make sure they worked for somebody. Booted up as I expected.
Right now I run my GSkill 6400 sticks @8500 speeds. Seems very happy doing so since about March or so.

Yeah i did a lot of research on the board and it seems like a great candidate for OCing. I have read over 12 different article on how other people are OCing there e2140 and other reviews on the ds3l it seems like a really decent board and i got it used for $57 which was a good deal IMHO.

Back