• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

please review my new PC.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chaiyz

Hey there. For work I've built a few e8400/AsusP5N/Nvidia 8500gtmachines that are quite nice and fast.
I've been using a Dell e510 with a pentium 4 630 3.0 with HT and 2 gig's of ram with an MSI HD2600 for the past couple of years.

I recently found a good deal on ebay for a Intel Q6600 CPU SLACR + Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3l Motherboard. I have 2x2G OZC plat 9200 and also just bought an XFX 4770. I'm planning to run this on an Antec Earthwatt 550 and I'm thinking I'll put it all in an Alienware tower case I have onhand.

My question is what can I expect? I've heard that I can set up the task manager to use cores independently. Is that true?

I'm planning on running 2 500Gig WD's and running Windows 7, XP pro, and Ubuntu 9.04 in their own partitions. I'm also wanting to have 2 partitions on my second drives placed in front for the XP and 7 swap files. I have access to all software but don't know what I should use to make the swap partitions and verify they're in front or should I create one new partition on the drive with the partitions for the OS's and use it?
Also just wondering what type of performance I can expect? WIll it feel as fast as my outdated 630 right off the bat or would a mild 3.0 OC wake it up so that I'd feel it all.

BTW, I'll be using CS3, Corel Draw, playing crysis and also watching hulu, youtube and general media and internet.

Thanks.

Chaiyz

I know that the 4770 isn't perfect for crysis but I'm getting the XFX model and I've been playing crysis on my p4 with the HD2600XT for the past 2 years and it actually looks pretty good. I can't play on high settings but I don't have to on all low either. No stutters and I love the game. I can imagine that it should look even better on the new XFX and the Quad.

Thanks, Posting in OS forums now.

Chaiyz

the 4770 is still at least 5X better vs your 2600XT. + the Quad and a lil OC your good for lots of fun.

Back