• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motorola Droid - Verizon Android Phone

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
My father sent me a link to the "Droid" phone on Engadget and I can't believe there are no posts about it. Personally, I've been waiting for an Android based phone to hit the Verizon network for a LONG time. I haven't been able to get AT&T here in South Dakota as they don't have way of getting a phone that runs that OS which I so badly want.

Post any/all information you can find on this phone and I will tag it on this first post.

Droid keywords on Engadget:
Sholes
Droid

Release Date:
November 6, 2009
Verizon opening at 6am

First! Droid Hands On (Oct 19, 2009):
Droid Hands On

Droid has Multi-Touch:
Link

Reviews
What Engadget thinks of the Droid
Another review

Droid user guide
Link

Last edited:
First (quick) review of the first Droid is up! See first post for the link.

I'm so getting one.

How can you say no?

normal_MotorolaDroid-4.jpg

Yeah, the buzz around this and other upcoming Android phones has me really interested.

I like the Android OS ... but this handset just looks cheap from the pictures ... I'm on AT&T right now, but it ends shortly and since I recently moved Verizon has good service here and I was looking into them and liked what I heard about this, really needs a hands on first. can't wait to see the final version, it's the keyboard that looks weird to me. Those keys just look like the crammed in there and it just doesn't look right. I saw that it's not the final version so I guess I'll wait ...

I am excited to see what they can come up with, but at the same time anxious as to how they will cripple the device by limiting user options.

I like the Android OS ... but this handset just looks cheap from the pictures ... I'm on AT&T right now, but it ends shortly and since I recently moved Verizon has good service here and I was looking into them and liked what I heard about this, really needs a hands on first. can't wait to see the final version, it's the keyboard that looks weird to me. Those keys just look like the crammed in there and it just doesn't look right. I saw that it's not the final version so I guess I'll wait ...

There has been several revisions from what I've read, I can't wait to play with it in stores.

There has been several revisions from what I've read, I can't wait to play with it in stores.

Yeah I'll have to see and use it in person before I pass judgement on it myself, as I agree in the picture above it looks poorly constructed, the keyboard looks cheap and the screen looks washed out.

Called Verizon yesterday to activate my replacement Blackberry (it bricked during an update -__-) and inquired about it. He couldn't/didn't give me a lot of information, but we both did geek out about it :D

my biggest gripe with the touch phones is the lag- my storm is terrible- freezes all the time. I saw some of the vids on the droid and it looks pretty fast, though ill wait to see how they really perform.

Yeah I'll have to see and use it in person before I pass judgement on it myself, as I agree in the picture above it looks poorly constructed, the keyboard looks cheap and the screen looks washed out.

Yea, I think it will be good aside from the physical build. They could have made it look soo much better. I really find looks of it pretty meh, but the workings/functionality has me interested.

Finally an Android phone with some good hardware specs! This thing has the same SoC (CPU/GPU) as the Palm Pre which is about the same as the iPhone 3GS. I just want to see the benchmarks (speed, responsiveness, and battery life) to see which OS has the best optimization.

I would have bought this if I had a corporate discount with Verizon... that 23% off Sprint's everything data plan is treating me well :)

The webOS needs a lot of optimization/features to compete with Android... native development kit, javascript compiler (V8), GPU-accelerated rendering, power management with radios and processor, voice commands/memos, video recording, and tasks/notes sync. I do love the UI, multitasking technique, and synergy (sync system) on webOS though.

Last edited:
my biggest gripe with the touch phones is the lag- my storm is terrible- freezes all the time. I saw some of the vids on the droid and it looks pretty fast, though ill wait to see how they really perform.

Did you update to OS 5? when you do you will have a Storm that should have been.

I was all about getting the droid cause the storm sucked so bad, but after the OS 5 update i am not so pressed to swap.

I love the commercial. Apple is getting served a fine portion of their own medicine. :)

LOL Yeah I cracked up laughing first time I saw it, I'm so sick of apple and there stupid *** "lets put i infront of everything!1!!1!"

Ipod
itouch
iphone
imusic
ilife
ifail...

LOL Yeah I cracked up laughing first time I saw it, I'm so sick of apple and there stupid *** "lets put i infront of everything!1!!1!"

Ipod
itouch
iphone
imusic
ilife
ifail...
Coming in 2010....iThideras!

Did you update to OS 5? when you do you will have a Storm that should have been.

I was all about getting the droid cause the storm sucked so bad, but after the OS 5 update i am not so pressed to swap.

All i can say is wow! i was in the same boat as u were- installed OS.5 last night and its a completely different phone. Still would like to see how this phone performs, but i can say ill stick with the storm for a while longer.

Back