• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Futureproof? Socket i7 vs. i5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Teque5

In building my new computer the only thing left to order is RAM, a MOBO, and the processor. LGA 775 has lasted a satisfying amount of time, but i am afraid of choosing a new socket that is short-lived.

I have been trying to figure out which of these sockets will exist in the forseeable future.

LGA 1156 Core i5 or LGA 1366 Core i7 ?

While im at it do you guys have some advice on a processor that exists in the price/perforance sweet spot? Normally i would look to tom's hardware guide charts, but they haven't updated it in like six months.

Neither one is going to be truly long-lived, certainly nothing like LGA775 although even that had multiple iterations that weren't really compatible. The next Intel architecture 'Sandy Bridge' will need a new socket. Buy what works for you now and expect to get a new mobo+CPU if you get the next architecture.

I cant imagine it will be phased out next year... they haven't even released there 6 core/12 thread 1366 processor yet (sometime next year i think)

How much are you willing to spend and what will be the main use? It does seem that i5 is very close to performance levels of 1366 i7 in some applications... it just depends on what you will be using it for!!

Neither one is going to be truly long-lived, certainly nothing like LGA775 although even that had multiple iterations that weren't really compatible.

Is µPGA-989 the new socket you speak of? I see this in the roadmap, but i didn't come up with any details...

How much are you willing to spend and what will be the main use?

I am moving my 775 processor and mobo to a 6TB server i am building and seeking a replacement for my main machine. I had planned on ~$400 for mobo, ram, and processor - but i want something that will last beyond 2010.

If the i5 and i7 are going to be short-lived maybe i should go AM3 and save myself $150 after ram. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I think you mean PGA988, but that's the mobile i7 socket not a future socket. I don't know what the socket name for Sandy Bridge is but the few tidbits Intel has released said it's going to be a new socket. I'm kind of *meh* about it though because at that time their ought to be SATA 6gb/s and USB 3.0 so any motherboard without those, in other words all current mobos, will not be long-term keepers anyway. On the other hand it's not like they'll stop working or suddenly become slower.

LGA1156 should be around longer then 2010. simply because intel has stated they are going to release ondie video for it. as well lga1336 should be around longer then 2010 as well. since as pointed out the 6core cpu hasnt hit the market yet. Intel Cpu Test !!!! I9 AND X58 EXTREME, though some thing tells me that intel will have a 8 core cpu for LGA1336.

I'd have to say that you'd be better served by going with a 1336 board. As like others before me have said, Intel has not yet released it's 6/8 core cpu's. I'd also go with a 1336 just for it's triple channel memory capability, especially if you're involved with memory intensive applications like audio/video encoding and CAD-like programs.

Back