• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Netbook IDE controller died :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CompuTamer

Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name
So... how do i install Ubuntu or Windows 7 to a 16 gig flash drive? I found a USB header, and there's plenty of room in there to put 1 (maybe even two and a hub) 16gig flash drive. I just need to know how to install something to a USB flash drive... anyone know how to? I can install from it, just not to it :/

u sure the ide controller died and not the ssd? thats a first i have heard of such thing happening.

I tried it with the hard drive out of my MP3 player, and it didn't pick that up either (it used to work with that). It may just be the cable, but i need a way to get an OS onto it to use it until i can fix it. :/

what netbook is it?

as far as installing an OS on a flash drive... be prepared for a HORRIBLY slow laptop.

HP Mini 1030NR

And the drive i'm planning on using is a little bit faster than the SSD it came with, so i'm hoping it won't be too bad... it's just to stream music to a few computers at school. Nothing major... i just need it to boot up and share music lol

Use ROBOCOPY to image your current OS onto whichever device you wanted to boot it with....also adjust bootable device accordingly from the bios.

what os do you plan on installing? i know XP doesnt really like being installed onto a usb drive... but others do. Linux might be a good candidate for this.

Use ROBOCOPY to image your current OS onto whichever device you wanted to boot it with....also adjust bootable device accordingly from the bios.

I would if i had a way to access the drive... nothing really important though. Just some music, but i also have it all on my desktop.

I plan on using Ubuntu on it, or POSSIBLY Windows 7, depending on if my school's computers can access a Linux machine :/

what netbook is it?

as far as installing an OS on a flash drive... be prepared for a HORRIBLY slow laptop.

You don't know what your talking about. Linux and windows on a flash drive is reasonably fast!!!! The access time of a flash drive is a 1/10th of a hard drive.

Back