• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus p5kpl-vm overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dear,,

im overclocking my Q6600 processor, i got an asus p5kpl-vm motherboard.

im overclocking at 2.7ghz atm, and it runs pretty fine etc... but im just not really sure about higher oc-ing...

at my first attempt i got a bsod... fixed this by changing my pci express to 101... can someone explain me why this fixed the problem :S?

I'll just assume you're running DDR2-800MHz RAM. With the FSB at the default of 266MHz, running w/ a 2:3 FSB : DRAM ratio (266/800 NB strap), the effective DRAM frequency is 800MHz. When you upped the FSB to 300MHz, and without manually changing the DRAM Frequency setting (to something like 4:5; for an effective frequency of 750MHz), the AUTO setting retained the 2:3 ratio which resulted in a DRAM frequency of 900MHz (which is what caused the BSOD). Your RAM could probably run at 900MHz, but you'll need to either increase the DRAM voltage and / or loosen the RAM timings at that frequency. And leave the PCIe bus frequency at 100MHz.

Back