• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sad day My g/f spilled h2o on my laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

allstar71

Registered
I have a thinkpad t41 and was just wondering where to start to repair this? charging light wont light and there is corosion on where the battery connects. its prob fried. I am capable of fixing it myself. I have built several computers but never spilled water on any. just wondering where to start to find out what needs to be replaced.

thanks,
David

Heh, just clean it with isopropyl alcohol and wait for it to dry... clean everything up real good though... if you are know how... check all the solder points and clean them up and such... and hope that works ^^

Trying to apply power to it probably didn't help your cause, but Flurp is right... try 91% rubbing alcohol on the components that got wet and let it dry over a heater of some sort. Give it a few days to get good and dry and reassemble it. Using this technique has resurrected many electronic items for me.

Good Luck!

Did you try to apply power after it got wet? That usually isn't good...

It's a Thinkpad, so you can dismantle just about everything. Take it all apart and clean it out with lots of rubbing alcohol. You can use a toothbrush to scrub anything that needs it. Clean the corrosion off of the battery contacts, dry it all out, and see if it'll run.

This is water, it leaves no residue , there is no reason to clean it .Just disassemble the laptop and let it dry for a few days in the sun or near the stove , these things are built with lots of safety features to prevent shorts , it might just surprise you by booting when fully dried .

The second worst thing you could've done (after throwing it out of the window) was to try to power it up. Looks like you have done that already.

Just wait for it to dry and pray, then. Shorting is a luck thing. If you short 2 signal (data) wires, chances are nothing will go wrong. If you short 19V from the battery to your CPU... that's a little harder to say.

But nothing can go wrong (electrically) if you don't try to power it up.

Take it apart, let it sit over a heater for like 3-4 days. Then put it back together and hope it works.

My sisters cellphone was in the washing machine for 45 minutes. It was dead (and yes she tried to power it up when it was soaking LOL). It was filled with water, the screen, you press the keys and water was comming out. It was a mess,

I took it apart, let it dry for a couple of days and ta-da it worked again. :beer:

So good luck!.

Back