• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gaming notebook, narrowed down but need opinions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

@/2ct!<

I am looking for a new gaming laptop for my dad. I have found 2 different Asus laptops but I have a hard time deciding which one would be better for a gaming experience.

Core 2 duo 2.53
6 gig ram
5400 rpm hard drive
17.3" screen (1600x900)
$1300(due to tax)
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9556125&type=product&id=1218124208054

i7 720QM
4 gig ram
7200 rpm hd
15.6" screen (1920x1080)
$1500
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10011396

How much better will the i7 be in games compared to a core 2 duo?
Since they are 260m gtxs might it be better to artificially limit resolution to native 1600x900 because I might not have the power to run everything 1080p?
Do the ram size or hd speed have any real impact?

Thanks for the input, trying for a life of about 4 years too.

I would go with the i7, personally.
How much better will it be in games compared to a core 2 duo, not noticable. Why? because these machinese are already so powerfull.

As for your resolution worries, put them asside as its not going to stop your dad from having fun behind the mouse and keyboard. Both Laptops are MORE then powerfull enuff to run games for a few years (most likely).

PS* buy a good set of gaming headphones with a mic, i have an Asus M50V (when they first came out not to long ago) and these so called top of the line speakers and mic they put in the laptops are junk.

I would go with the i7, personally.
How much better will it be in games compared to a core 2 duo, not noticable. Why? because these machinese are already so powerfull.

As for your resolution worries, put them asside as its not going to stop your dad from having fun behind the mouse and keyboard. Both Laptops are MORE then powerfull enuff to run games for a few years (most likely).

PS* buy a good set of gaming headphones with a mic, i have an Asus M50V (when they first came out not to long ago) and these so called top of the line speakers and mic they put in the laptops are junk.

What games will he be playing? Is there any reason why he wants a laptop over a desktop for gaming? You will be plugged in most of the time if you plan on gaming.

probably so he only has one comp and plans to use it as a laptop but would like to be able to play games on it aswell... I game on my laptop :p

A laptop is nice to have, because it is portable.

I as well game on my laptop Flurp, while at work in my truck thanks to inverters but fitting my desktop into my truck doesnt really work now does it.

Back