• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Transfer HD from AMD 939 to DFI Intel 775

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RollingThunder

Destroyer of Trolls & Spammers
Asrock Dual SATA2 Opteron XP Pro borked and being replaced with a DFI Lan Party Micro 775 E7500 XP Pro. What issues will I face regarding this transfer? Can it be done or is a reinstall of XP Pro needed?

Although as you know a clean install is preferred, you might be able to get away w/ a Repair install from the Recovery Console.

Try it without repairing anything and see if it boots into the OS. if it does, that's good. One of two things will happen: Windows will want you activate immediately or in 3 days, of course you'll have to install all new drivers.

If you get a blue screen, then run a repair, this way you will still have all of your programs installed and 'registered', so you won't have to reinstall programs, etc.

Try it without repairing anything and see if it boots into the OS. if it does, that's good. One of two things will happen: Windows will want you activate immediately or in 3 days, of course you'll have to install all new drivers.

If you get a blue screen, then run a repair, this way you will still have all of your programs installed and 'registered', so you won't have to reinstall programs, etc.

Bob, Mad,

Thank you both, I'm just getting lazy in my old age and it reminds me of one of my favorite quotations:

Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't. :)

The plus side of doing this with a new build is that if a "repair" from the Console doesn't seem to be going well by experimentation and I start to curse and swear while my wife has her fingers in her ears, starting over isn't so bad. I've never done this before but I am being protected from my forgetfullness with Carbonite. :cool:

If it's XP it'll boot in safe mode save for some kind of fluke.

Just have the new mobo's drivers ready, and uninstall the old, install the new, make sure it's reading all devices properly, reset, and you should be ok.

Still very lazy though.

You should clean install.

If it's XP it'll boot in safe mode save for some kind of fluke.

Just have the new mobo's drivers ready, and uninstall the old, install the new, make sure it's reading all devices properly, reset, and you should be ok.

Still very lazy though.

You should clean install.

There is no better time to play and get the experience than with a new install like this before I reformat and do a clean one. As you could see from my above post, I was fairly sure what the suggestions would be. Thanks guy! :thup:

Guys,

Surprisingly it booted right into Windows and asked for activation which I did. No repair, same video card which probably helped. I'll grab what I need or have forgotten and do a clean install. Thank's for all the suggestions, it's appreciated!

What from this system died?

Neon,

It was the motherboard but I'm not sure where or why. Power supply (Corsair HX520) booted it new computer right up. The beep error code was a long continuous beep and the BIOS codes suggested either motherboard power supply or possibly keyboard. I tried another key board with the same results so I was near certain the motherboard went out.

Back