• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie here....Need to knwo if this is the right PSU for my system?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Guitarguy708

Registered
I just ordered a new case and it comes with a Antec PP-412X 400watt PSU.....it doesnt show on the AMD site as being AMD approved...it shows the 403x as being approved...i dont know what the difference is in the two...can someone help...so i dont blow things up...thanks

here are specs of both PSU...The first one is the one iam getting with the case that IS NOT AMD appoved..the second one is the one AMD approved....Did i get the wrong one?

PP412x( the one i ordered)

ATX12V Form Factor, 2.03 compliant for Pentium 4 (backward compatible with previous Pentium versions) and AMD systems
L5.9" x W5.5" x H3.4"
+5V Stand-By & Logic On/Off
Smart Fan Feature (Thermal Controlled Variable Speed Fan)

PP412X is a 400 Watt 6-output, fan-cooled ATX (Baby AT or PS/2 Size) power supply designed for personal computer or industrial applications.
Its ATX12V and ATX 2.03 compliance allows its use with the latest Pentium 4 processors while its backward compatibility ensures its usability with any system.

(AMD approved the one i DID NOT order)
ATX 2.03 Form Factor
L 5.9" x W5.5" x H3.4"
+5V Stand-By & Logic On/Off
EMI Filtered
Smart Fan Feature (Thermal Controlled Variable Speed Fan)

PP403X is a 400 Watt 6-output, fan-cooled ATX (Baby AT or PS/2 Size) power supply designed for personal computer or industrial applications using the most recent processing technology requires +3.3V output, +5V AC-On Standby and Logic On/Off control

hey guitarguy, welcome to the forums.

yeah, so long as it and your motherboard take the same type connectors (both SHOULD be ATX). it wont "blow up" your cpu. some generic brand cpu's dont put out enough juice, even tho they are rated at 300(or whatever) watts. that one you have should work just great.

I have the Antec 1040b with the PP-412x "smartfan" PSU..it seems to be very good...I havent had a single problem with it...and right now im taxing it bad...its not only running normal stuff..HDD,CD-rom CPU cooler,GPU cooler, it also powers 3 120mm Intake fans and 4 80mm exaust fans, and 1 small extra fan on the GPU..the 5 volt rail is 5.04 right now..

Same kinda question, can I get a generic or any PSU with same adaptors to run my proc? Proc will be a XP series.. Or should I splurge and get one that is rated for the system? I was also thinking about doing 2 PSUs, in my calculations it seems more cost efficient to have 2 instead of 1 that is rated just as good as two but costs 3 times as much...

Ideas?

Later.

Back