• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new job, need a laptop for the road

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adragontattoo

Trailer Chasing Senior
Ok so the new job has me on about 80% travel. I need a laptop capable of playing EvE online, Fallout3 and other games while I live in Hotels throughout the US.

Size doesnt matter as I prefer desktop replacements and not machines that I have to plug in external bits (no netbooks).

looking for a quad preferably.

Nvidia GPU, nothing against ATI, but I have run into too many issues with them and Linux.

Will end up running a few VMs as well so a dual core at the least.

Im looking at a few alienware systems solely due to the warranty. I dont have to have Alienware specifically but would prefer something that will force a tech to show instead of my having to replace parts.

I have searched the forums here and really havent found exact answers so mostly I am looking for opinions on Alienware vs. HP vs. whoever else warrantywise.

Price is within reason, no real set budget, just not looking for the 15k laptop or anything.

little help?

From what I have seen, hps fails within 2-3 years. Contributing factor might be that they are poorly made. I don't mean cheap but bunch of hot components are stack up on each other without adequate cooling. If you want hp keep it under warranty.

www.lenovo.com and get full coverage warranty on it.

I was talking to one of the guys there about what all they would cover, he said one customer had a dog rip the laptop off a table and bite a hole through the screen. They covered it free of charge and no loops to jump through.

HP's warranty and tech support is trash.

www.lenovo.com and get full coverage warranty on it.

I was talking to one of the guys there about what all they would cover, he said one customer had a dog rip the laptop off a table and bite a hole through the screen. They covered it free of charge and no loops to jump through.

HP's warranty and tech support is trash.
Seconded, Lenovo simply blows away the competition.

Lenovo is a good company, but check out the Asus too, their quality are good too. I own two Asus laptops, 1 for over a year and one is new. Plus the price/performance ration is also good.

I ended up getting a dv7-3085dx.

HP desktop replacement as I need more then just a portable to do work anymore.

17" 1600x900 (only complaint is it isnt 1080p)
GT230m 1gb
I7 720
6gb of DDR3
500gb HDD

I am going to be running multiple VMs on it to build scenarios to train the troops on as well as this is my entertainment while sitting in hotels wherever I may be. I looked at the Alienware and Envys and the price for admission was more then I was willing to accept for a laptop.

I am a former Dell and HP tech and I have an older NC series laptop that while it was good (mostly) for checking email, it struggled beyond that. I doubt I will have too much issue with the DV as I plan on reTIMing the entire unit this week probably.

Now that I have a laptop which doesnt balk at more then one heavy duty App running at once, I can get back to finishing my article for the front page.

Back