• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P55-UD3R and S3 sleep issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wwu123

I've just picked up a new i5 and P55-UD3R and it has me a bit stumped. Off the bat, this is a great setup, I was able to raise the bclock from 133 to about 172 at default vcore, so with the 21x turbo enabled, I could reach 3.6 GHz and run Orthos stable for an hour. At that point the temps start to get to the high 70's, so I'm pretty much limited by heat since I only have the stock cooler right now.

However, I noticed it wasn't coming back from S3 sleep above 160 bclock or so. That's when I searched and found that all the Gigabyte boards seem to have this as a common issue at high fsb/bclock settings. Same other issues including CAS incorrectly reporting as 4.0 instead of 8 or 9.

But the next thing I've never seen mentioned before with previous boards. I noticed that after resuming from sleep, you lose ALL overclocking because the bclock is back at 133! This is actually worse than running stock bclock, because does seem to remember to lock the Turbo at 21X, whereas if you left the BIOS at default 133, it will still go to 24X even after resuming from sleep. With EasyTune can I still adjust bclock after each resume, but you can never get 24X back at any speed.

Do you think this is something they might fix in new firmware? Right now the board is new, with only a couple of BIOS updates. I'm running F3f beta, but have also tried F2. Because with this issue, it seems the Turbo feature really negates the point of mild 20-30% overclocks, as the 24X you can only get without touching bclock gets you so much more speed than 21X and then losing your bclock settings.

Back