• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Im Looking for the right motherboard @ an x58 pltfm

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whenyournex2me

Hello, :santa:

I need help in my quest for the right motherboard. I want a motherboard that would support the i9 if thats possible... if not, one that will allow me to eventually Oc nicely, with 24/7 stability on a 920 i7. Also the video cards and I would like a motherboard that would support x16 x16 x16 sli or crossfire.
I would like to see at lease 1666 stock memory ddr3. Im not even sure what hard drive to mobo configuration I want/need either.

I am going to use this computer for a very high dollar artistic build. Budget is of no concern. Whats the best possible Mobo that will be out after the new year? I greatly appreciate the help! :)

I know the Intel board will accept those 6 core processors when they come out later next year with just a BIOS update if that helps. also i am pretty sure we dont know exactly what I9 is yet. lga 1366 or something higher.

Most people wont recommend the Intel board. There are a few downsides to it. Only 4 DIMM slots (but if you dont plan on running 6x2gb stick for 12gb of ram, who cares??). Also the SATA ports are blocked by the video card, so you must remove it to undo some of them.

The boards stability is pretty good. Most people can get around 218-220 bclk, but if you are looking to go higher than that, look for a board elsewhere. The board from the factory can utilize the 21x multiplier w/ 4 cores (no other board can I dont think stock, although some boards can have a mod'ed bios unlock it). Im running whats in my SIG daily but ive hit 21x219 for 4.6ghz (board wont go over 219 bclk :( A few will from what Ive read, but most people cap about there).

As far as performance to price, Id say its pretty good just because of the stability and the decent overclocking performance. I must say I was very skeptical before I got it, but Im not upset at all that I did. Id definitely take it over the cheaper Giga/Asus/EVGA boards, however the higher end boards are much more stable (ie: EVGA Classified, Asus Revolution, ect).

hmmm. all boards i see dont have x16 3 way... all are 3 bg sata. and man, memory is expensive. lol Looks like I could spend near or more $3500.00 cause it would be very new, as its released possibly.

I think I will wait for the x58 extreme revised to come out and see what compares to it. I think that platform could hold me down for a few years... ya think?

hmmm. all boards i see dont have x16 3 way... all are 3 bg sata. and man, memory is expensive. lol Looks like I could spend near or more $3500.00 cause it would be very new, as its released possibly.

I think I will wait for the x58 extreme revised to come out and see what compares to it. I think that platform could hold me down for a few years... ya think?

The high end can usually tide you over for a few years with single card upgrades. (best of each family)

What do you need tri-SLI or tri-crossfire for? Hell, 1 5870 will run just about anything you need it to (I know my 4870 does a VERY good job of it now). Not only that, the 5870x2 will be coming if you need more.

The only point in getting more than that is to waste money, have bragging rights, or if you are bencher/folder. If none of those 3 apply, its pretty pointless w/ the new 5870 here and 5870x2 on the way.

What do you need tri-SLI or tri-crossfire for? Hell, 1 5870 will run just about anything you need it to (I know my 4870 does a VERY good job of it now). Not only that, the 5870x2 will be coming if you need more.

The only point in getting more than that is to waste money, have bragging rights, or if you are bencher/folder. If none of those 3 apply, its pretty pointless w/ the new 5870 here and 5870x2 on the way.

My GTX 260 still man handles all games, and to hell with running crysis, it'd matter if it was fallout 3, but who cares about crysis? Sure it's a pretty and playable benchmark with some great gameplay but it doesn't break a computer from being usable if it doesn't run it at max settings (no rig can truly do this yet).

Well, good points...

Im comfortable in a lil future proofing, the hardware is here, the rest for what we lack is in software. I want to run dx11... yes. I dont want to play any dx9 games. some dx 10...

I was under the impression, please correct me here if im wrong, but, having a single gpu in a slot gives full bandwidth per processor... so instead if using a dual gpu sharing one x16, I would benifit with one gpu per x16. I am under the impression that a dual gpu card in a x16 slot is read x8/x8....

does this make sense? Also, I have a high end card to begin with for rendering and animation. a fx4600 quadro.

I was looking at the EVGA classified 3 way sli motherboard. and in comparison to that, I was looking at the Gigabyte x58 extreme. I know I want 6mb sata, 24 mb memory, so I will have to wait for the revised version... when and if it comes out. and one at a time, buy the best single gpu card from ATI. and I could upgrade to another card easy, and have two gpu's OCed, at full x 16 each...

Ill use the other slots for audio and the quadro.

I still have alot to learn, I just thought Id see how the plan is,, If its logical or not. thanks for all the challanges and tips.

Last edited:
Back