• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time Build Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Samuroth1349

I'm not sure if this is in the right area so please don't kill me if its not.

But I am building a computer and I finally got all my parts today. And I went to power it up for the first time and nothing happened. There is a power button on the motherboard and I pressed that and nothing happens. The green light on the motherboard is on. and there is also another orange led light that comes on when the psu is connected.

Here are the specs

Msi X58 Platinum Sli
Core i7 920
Thermaltake Spin q
Rosewill 630 w psu
OCZ 3 Gb DDR3 Triple channel Kit
PNY Geforce 9800 gtx
WD 750 GB Drive
Generic DVD rom I salavged from somewhere

Does anyone have any Idea what it could be. I'm pretty sure everything is plugged in correct. I reseated the CPU cooler too. Its not in a case right now so there shouldn't be any mount shorts.

I'm starting to wonder if the mobo is bad :( I hope not

Welcome!!!!!

Are you certain you plugged in the front power lead properly? 8 pin on mobo plugged in as well?

Although it could be that POS (sorry man) Power Supply you are current running.

Welcome!!!!!

Are you certain you plugged in the front power lead properly? 8 pin on mobo plugged in as well?

What do you mean by Front power lead. I didn't plug a case power button into the mobo. I just have been pressing the built in power button on the board. And yes the 8 pin is plugged in on the board.

Oops, my reading skills today are in FAIL mode... :)

Maybe that switch is borked. Is it in a case? Can you try hooking up the front panel connections and go through that?

Welcome!!!!!

Its not in a case at the moment. I plan on putting it in a g5 case. but I have to wire up the front panel by hand so. Is there anyways to set off the power lead with out wiring it. I read some where about touching it with a screw driver

and also there are led's that light up on the board. So I thought that would mean my pos psu is ok? and I hoped it meant the board is ok too.

PSU should be fine, though the brand is awfully concerning with such a nice PC (get a new one! :)). You can jumper the PSU with a fan or two attached to it and see if that works to confirm PSU is ok at a tiny load.

When you press the buttons does it even flinch? Like fans spin for a split second?

PSU should be fine, though the brand is awfully concerning with such a nice PC (get a new one! :)). You can jumper the PSU with a fan or two attached to it and see if that works to confirm PSU is ok at a tiny load.

When you press the buttons does it even flinch? Like fans spin for a split second?

What do you mean jumper the psu with a fan or two attached to it?

it does not flinch at all. nothing

I mean the power supply doesn't kick on or anything. its completely still...

Stick a paper clip into the green wires pin and connect it to any black wired pin and the psu should turn on, stick some fans or crap on the connectors so the PSU is not loadless. Typically its not advised to run the unit without a load because the voltage regulators are designed to have duty.

If that checks out go from there.

On your 20/24 pin connector, find the green wire. Now take another wire and put it in the pin where the green goes, now take the other end of the wire and plug it into a ground there. Plug some fans in the molex connectors and see if they kick on.

20/24 pin diagram: http://www.smpspowersupply.com/connector_atx_pinout.GIF

generic how to pic: http://www.yinfor.com/blog/archives/images/psu_test_jumper.jpg

ok your picture didn't work but I figured out how to do it. I believe the psu is dead which blows. I Jumped the green to the black and plugged a fan into the molex connecter and nothing X_X

I will try to go to bestbuy tonight on my way home and see if I can't find a power supply. As I need this computer to get going soon so I cant order any fantastical psu and I'm on a budget.

If this doesn't work.
I may be back

X_X

At Best buy stick with Antec, BFG or Corsair. 500W or more. Anything less as far as quality and wattage and you could have the same issue.

Try a fan or two and a HDD if possible just in case the load wasnt enough to get it in gear...

I picked up a 750 w Corsair. And when I did the jump with the fan before, I still had the harddrive and the cd drive attached. Hopefully the new one will work if not I am going to be pretty mad.

I was about to say...

You bought champagne and caviar.

And the main course is chicken fingers from the freezer because you bought a rosewill PSU.

You know you can't plug, unplug stuff while the PSU is connected to AC right?

Also, try one ram stick at a time, in different slots

reinstall your CPU make sure you did it properly.

Check all connections- including the connection to your videocard from PSU.

Well I plugged the Corsair tx 750 watt in and it turned right on. So it was indeed the POS Rosewell. I guess I learned my Noob Lesson For the day. anyways. It is up and running. And Hopefully the motherboard mounts will be in tomorrow and I can put it in the G5 Case. Then I will Post pictures if you guys wish.

At any rate, Thanks for the Help and the troubleshootings

W00t! Glad its working man! Damn POS DOA PSU's. (was trying to figure out another acronym but...)

W00t! Glad its working man! Damn POS DOA PSU's. (was trying to figure out another acronym but...)

Haha man we nerds are quite strange sometimes.

Anyways I really appreciate the help.

Ill post some pics of it soon after It's a finished hackintosh 7

Back