• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Super n00b P55 PCIe Electrical Speed Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you have 2 GPU's it will break down to 8x/8x...Otherwise...no. What do you require at 8x?

What motherboard do you have?

EarthDog, some older motherboards (DFI Infinity P965-S) wouldn't split x8/x8, the second slot was only able to switch between x4 and x1, via a BIOS setting.

Yep... but this is P55 with the controller on die. Different story I would imagine..No? (see title of thread)

It would be 2 GPUs yes.
The reason I ask is because I have a GA-P55-UD3 with an ATi 5850 atm, (Running in the x16(x16) lane) and it has a 2nd PCIe x16 slot, but it states x4 electrical.

I am not too fussed either way (from what I can gather the performance hit is only 5% or less), but just wondering :)

With the 5850, a slower card, you may not see any performance decrease that was shown with a 5870 in 8x as the 5850 is more than the 1-2% slower than the 5870.

With the 5850, a slower card, you may not see any performance decrease that was shown with a 5870 in 8x as the 5850 is more than the 1-2% slower than the 5870.

I understand that :) My Question was mainly curiosity about whether crossfire would run at x16/x4 or at x8/x8.

After reading a bit more, Im not sure I provided the right answer. I would suggest maybe PMing MIAHALLEN as he completed a review on this board and knows it pretty well.

crossfire will run on 16/4 but not at the same level as say a 8/8. the 4x slot even being pcie 2.0 may hold back the second GPU.

It would be 2 GPUs yes.
The reason I ask is because I have a GA-P55-UD3 with an ATi 5850 atm, (Running in the x16(x16) lane) and it has a 2nd PCIe x16 slot, but it states x4 electrical.

I am not too fussed either way (from what I can gather the performance hit is only 5% or less), but just wondering :)

If it states 4X electrical than it will only be 4x. The board is not WIRED to handle 8x or 16x on the second slot.

the reason they still put a 16x slot in, is because, the pieces of plastic are cheap, and it saves them money not having to inventory too many different items. (plus allows you to run a second video card, even at reduced BW))

Back