• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]Is there Life left in Socket 775?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Is there Life left in Socket 775?
by Joe Shields, EarthDog

As some of you already know, this is a VERY loaded question and the answer you will get depends on who you ask.

Many members here at Overclockers.com believe that since Socket 775 is a dead socket (meaning there are no more CPU’s coming out for it so no upgrade path) that it wouldn’t be worth purchasing.

Click here to continue reading.

Discuss this article below. If you are interested in contributing to the front page (www.overclockers.com), please feel free to contact me.

Thanks,
-EarthDog

i will be using 775 for a while, im getting ready to upgrade my motherboard and im helping a friend build a computer around 775 right now, the only reason why i wont upgrade to i7 and i5 is cost and also 775 is good enough for me to where i will be running it for another year or 2

I agree. I'm currently using EP45-UD3P with a Q9550 @ 4.25 with 8GB of DDR2 installed. For the vast majority of users, a more noticeable upgrade in terms of overall PC performance experience and "feel" would be a SSD as their OS drive rather than going from 775 OCed setup to i5/i7.

I'd agree with the blog the OP linked. It wouldn't make much sense to build an entirely new rig around s775 but if you already have a good board then dropping in a faster chip is a great option.

My Q9650 at 4.4Ghz is amazingly fast.

Im glad so far the opinions are in line with the article... I have to admit I was a bit worried with some of the posts I saw...

BUMP for FRONT PAGE VIEWS FOR ALL THE GREAT ARTICLES UP THERE! :)

well to be honast if some of the LGA775 P45 boards were still out and cheap. there are a few good GB boards no longer for sale that i can find. LGA775 would/might still be a good option, though if that low of a price.... you have AMD to consider, which does have a upgrade path that LGA775 doesnt.

one thing you cant deny, is there is no way your building a nearly complete rig, minus OS,keyboard,mouse,monitor. For around $400, you can that with AM3 and LGA775. there is no doubt LGA775 is a dead socket but you have to consider the person buying the pc too.

lets say you had a choice between two pc's. one from intel with a E3300/4gig ram/160gig drive/DVD-burner/ATX case with 400CX psu/ATI 4350. now take the same parts but cpu is a AMD x2 before PII/AII came out. Both are priced the same within about $6 of each other. Now think the last time you upgraded was 4 years ago... which would you go with?

*edit*
havent read the article, let me eat first...

I completely agree with your point of view Earthdog. I'm still running a C2D 775 on a X38 mobo & it's a nice gamer at 4.0GHz. I still have an upgrade path too, because I can still go C2Q 775.

I still plan on useing my setp for a while i cant wait to find some cheep used Q9650's or q9550 and @ of what ever the new NV card is going to be . Im pretty sure that will be fast enough for me .

+ I plan on having a Ok soild state array long before I move to I7.

So yes there is life left in 775 For me
+1 to the artical

I completely agree with your point of view Earthdog. I'm still running a C2D 775 on a X38 mobo & it's a nice gamer at 4.0GHz. I still have an upgrade path too, because I can still go C2Q 775.

I feel the exact same way. I upgraded my mobo to UD3P a few months ago since when I NEED an upgrade I can get a C2Q and I'll have a good board for quad OC.

Good article :clap:

I've had a few discussions about this with various people.....my opinion...
yes! there is still life left in 775! and no its not dead!!!
simply because - c2d's are great for gaming - and 8500 and 8600 are monster overclockers - easy for a 4ghz clock and the 8600 can get 4.4ghz too!
then theres the quads - ive got a q9650 and running it at 4.3ghz - its a monster! the q6600 is still a fast cpu at 3.4-3.6ghz! q9550s are awesome too!
and people arent going to notice much difference using an i7/i5 if youve already got a quad at 4ghz+!
im gonna keep my 4.3ghz q9650 for at least another year!
then i'll think about getting an i7 or i9 if its out!
basically because theres nothing out there that my q9650 cant handle!
im sure most of you with OC'd 9550s or 9650s feel that there isnt anything out there that will make your cpu struggle!!
my opinion!

Mini-ITX... yes the I7 is the biggest baddest thing on the market, but you can't put an I7 into a mini-ITX case. Automotive PC, and home applications of HTPC... mini-ITX cases have a lot of potential.

Great read. I'm building an HTPC using a 775. A shame intel had to kill off the 775. In my personal expierience the P35 I started out with was a joy to have. Despite the fact that the redesign of the board made the bios chip unaccessable due to the fact they soldered them on, it was still an awsome board. I made the leap to the X48 and was again impressed.

I'm sure the 775 will be around for still quite a while, and if it goes down it won't go down without a fight.

Some of you are wrong about one thing; some like me, still prefer building an entirely new s775 rig without feeling like we cheated ourselves out of anything. It really makes you feel like an idiot when everybody says: "It makes no sense to build a new rig on this dead platform." Yet most of the s1366 rigs are going to be outdated in (by choice mind you) in no time, since we're almost always upgrading every 6 months. I built this rig, for the pure joy of overclocking on the s775 platform. The stability is incredible. I'm currently running at 4.4GHZ on air, no less!

Windows Server 2003x86

cdf758021b2b8adc4be66bb660f0c20a.jpg

Windows 7 x64

206c1e11edf0a37c02877542bd57de9d.jpg

Welcome!!! There is absolutely no need to feel like an idiot. My reasoning as the author, and an owner of the chipset is simply based off the upgrade path that isnt available for it. So long as going into the build the owner knows that there isnt an upgrade path on that socket, one cannot be faulted for building on that platform. As the article states there is still plenty of horsepower and viability left, just not an upgrade path like AM3 and S1366 has. While even the S1366 has an end in site, there is still the die shrink left to 32nm and the addition of more cores (i9) which breathes more life into that socket as it has viable upgrade paths. :)

Great overclocks BTW, wow!

Last edited:
Thanks! Believe me, I don't. And it's because of consistent results like the above with all my s775 chips that even though I did move to s1366, I missed overclocking on the s775 enough to build this set up. My s1366 experience wasn't too shabby either..... albeit on water.....

32m

a4e85aee05668a27ce432b38ad4d2f4b.jpg

4.4GHZ

b9d887b61a30938bcdd8086e5b074863.jpg

4.51GHZ

98cfbdffa62bfea7bfe188a852a04d81.jpg

775 rocks

hey guys :)
I read your posts...you are so updated. I havent changed my pc since 4 years. I have an asus P5LD2 MB and Intel 630 (3GHz,800 FSB, 2Mb L2 HT and 64bit). Right now its runing stable at 3.9 GHz (260MHzx15). I cant modify the multiplier. FSB is 1042 now, from 800 :). I have an ATI 4850HD . Im not a gamer but have tried a few new games and their running quite well on my old PC (friend) :).I am running windows 7 ultimate 64bit.3072 MB RAM 800Mhz.I am proud of the choice i made 4 years ago. My next will be an i7 i guess, cant wait

my Gigabyte X38 DS5 just died. I'm gonna replace it with EP45 UD3P. i'm extremely on a tight budget. an i5 or AMD would be nice but I already have a Q6600 proc and a Good ddr2 800 Crucial tracers.
Going for the i5 would be scraping my good cpu and ddr2 mems and getting a new ddr3 and i5 proc which would make me spend more. Im on a Tight budget so ill stick to LGA 775. No matter how Intel tries to market on how practical the i5 would be but the LGA 775 is more practical if your a low budget enthusiast. like me. Hehe.

Back