• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Maximus + e6700

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Basowy

Hello
On the begining just wanted to say that I am quite a newbie in overclocking matter. I ve got system wchich is:

MB - Maximus Extreme
CPU - E6700 2.66
RAM - 2 X Corsair CM3X2G1600C9DHX 533 MHz
7-7-7-20 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
27-59-4-8-4 (RC-RFC-RRD-WR-WTR)

COOLING -Just standard Intel kit cooler.....

Now since i have googled a lot I know , that theoretically I can get it going from 2.66 to 3.66 by increasing FSB from 266 to 333, Ram into about 976 MHz and increasing dram voltage to 2.0V and FSB to 1.4 V. However the problem is that :

- firstly, any time i try to change FSB over lets say 280 i cannot boot up and
I need to reset bios settings.
- Secondly i cannot set Ram speed to that specific value So i understand
that is also an issue which I have no idea how to solve.I understand it has to be like 1066 or around that but im not sure...
- finally whatever mid manual changes i try to make in bios results in computer noot booting up - the highest stable result i achieved is getting 2.8 GHz which i would guess could be better

I want to play with overclocking mainly so I can learn, and see how single settings have impact on system performance, rather than achieving
super speed, since i know that e6700 is bad to overclock. And it is experimenting which gives me pleasure.But as for now "single setting experiments" - results only for me in "bios reset".... and setting everything back to auto :(
Of course i understand it is rather me lacking or not having knowledge, how to do it, rather than something is wrong, so if someone could help me please with this matter. It could be example bios settings from where i could take it further, and play around or any tutorials etc etc .
Thx for help

"The best" results i got as far...
6s3mnb.jpg 2a01abm.jpg

Last edited:
FSB voltage? It's the vcore you need to set to 1.4 volts

Also, set the RAM multiplier to 3.0, FSB as 360, dram voltage to 2.1V, maybe set northbridge to 1.49V.

Can you take pictures of your overclocking page in the BIOS?

Well, I'm going to Lunch in a few minutes and won't be back on for about 1.5 hours.

Did you change vcore at all? Because you didn't say you did, and CPU-Z reports what seems like stock voltages. Setting it to 1.4 should allow you to reach 3.6GHz.

Ok here are the photos from bios with settings You have posted me . I couldn`t find ram multiplier... or maybye it has different name here, so thats probably reason why it didnt work... I have resized them here, but i can send You full resolution links if You need

34dfuaq.jpg 34gsz85.jpg fozk2x.jpg

Last edited:
It's DRAM Frequency, put it to 3x if you can.
Hmm, you are using DDR3 it seems, just set the multiplier so the number next to it will be as close as 1600 as possible.

Loadline calibration should be enabled.
Up the vcore to 1.5 and see if you can boot, 1.5v is safe on 65nm cpus.

Also, under make sure you disable EIST and C1E

Here are the photos how I set it up, unfortunatenly it still doesn`t boot.. :(
The closest ram speed i have set, was 1441 - to get 1600 i would have to set fsb to 400.

2zpjlg5.jpg 2nbfvjt.jpg 2d7vqtw.jpg

Set the CPU ratio setting to 10 instead of automatic

Hmm, I never got my old E6600 to the 3.6GHz mark, try setting the FSB to 340 and see if it boots.

Nope it doestn boot , i ve changed ratio , changed fsb speed, still nothing . ihave increased FSBT voltage to 1,4 and still nothing. i restart comuter and it doesnt boot, only lcd posster says EN SETUP, thats it..

i got a small success in bios i put X6800 mode for cpu level up, i have disabled CPUTM function and suprisingly X6800 boot it was about 2.98 or something GHZ , didnt last long though , windows did not start and computer restarted.. so that might be cooling thing i suppose. Under windows using AI suite i can get this going in 2.9 ghz, but then i would expect from this motherboard far better result...

this is link ive found where guy makes it 3.6 - seems easy for him...
http://www.techspot.com/article/13-intel-core2duo-e6300-e6700-overclocking/page2.html

hmm, i have a similar processor...an e6400. it's not THAT similar but i might be able to share some of my settings.

firstly, i'd make your timings 8-8-8-20 and every other timing set on AUTO.
see if you can get 400x8 first (3.2ghz), try:
FSb set to 400
Cpu Ratio setting set to 8x
1.4v Vcore
1.36v NB
1.9v RAM
i have my CPU GTL ref. set to 1.63x
and NB GTL set to 1.67x
enable Loadline Calibration to decrease Vdroop (will help stablise OC)

and you need better cooling :p lol.
when you start using higher voltage, your CPU will be hotter at load temps.
download CoreTemp to measure your temps...try not to go above 60 C.

Hello, Surprisingly this one have nearly worked :). Bios booted up,all post msgs were correct, right up until time to load system, then windows never loaded. Like there was no MBR, nothing just black screen no HDD activity .The other thing is that CPU - GTL ratio i could only set to 0.63 max , NB-GTL 0.67 ... bios doesnt allow any higher settings. As for now I`m quite happy with those settings You gave me, since they do nearly work. It is probably either bad cooling or lack of it, or too high settings. Maybe i should start with 300 - 350 X 9 then 400 - 450 x 7 and work my way up......

Last edited:
Hello, Surprisingly this one have nearly worked :). Bios booted up,all post msgs were correct, right up until time to load system, then windows never loaded. Like there was no MBR, nothing just black screen no HDD activity .The other thing is that CPU - GTL ratio i could only set to 0.63 max , NB-GTL 0.67 ... bios doesnt allow any higher settings. As for now I`m quite happy with those settings You gave me, since they do nearly work. It is probably either bad cooling or lack of it, or too high settings. Maybe i should start with 300 - 350 X 9 then 400 - 450 x 7 and work my way up......
lol, at least we're getting somewhere :p
if windows does not load, it means you're quarter-way stable. you just need to increase some voltage values.
i'd try increasing the CPU voltage to1.42v...see where that takes you.

what number are you aiming for?
if you want some higher numbers i think you'll have to invest in some aftermarket cooling. got some loose cash anywhere?
and e6700 should be able to make 3.6ghz, seeing as my e6400 can make 3.4ghz (425x8)

lol, at least we're getting somewhere :p
if windows does not load, it means you're quarter-way stable. you just need to increase some voltage values.
i'd try increasing the CPU voltage to1.42v...see where that takes you.

what number are you aiming for?
if you want some higher numbers i think you'll have to invest in some aftermarket cooling. got some loose cash anywhere?
and e6700 should be able to make 3.6ghz, seeing as my e6400 can make 3.4ghz (425x8)

Why do you have vNB / MCH so high at 1.41V, and CPU PLL at 1.58V at a FSB of only 360MHz? Neither NB voltage or PLL voltage should need to be increased past default at that low a FSB. And neither CPU or NB GTLs need to be manually adjusted at that low a FSB; just leave both on AUTO.

I think ill look into cooling first, no matter what im doing, the best result was not to get windows loaded, so this must be cooling neither voltage helps nothing, any fsb over 290 mhz just doesnt work... so i get the cooling and we will take it from there.... Anyway i was also thinking of buying E8500
which is quite cheap now... after all might be no sense of buying cooling system for lets say 50 quid , where E8500 costs roughly 120... and probably with E8500 i could have much more fun...

Last edited:
so i bought e8500 :) with Ocz cooler, installed and works nice, my only concern is temperatures it oscillates around 70C and can shot up up to 86, 95......
Im pretty sure i`ve installed cooler right, and i dont use computer in sauna ... so something is wrong....
i have checked heatsink its ok not boiling over there, then i checked cpu with my finger, also not really hot. I would say for something which claimed to be 80 degrees 2 min before, it was rather around 30 C ... . I`ve cleaned it applied new paste instal cooler again and same temperatures... strange
It makes me quite angry since how can i play with overclocking this fella when i cant get right temperatures

Last edited:
Back