• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

iPhone 3G for business??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

King107s

I currently use the Samsung Blackjack II for work. I’m constantly sending emails, using the calendar to set up meetings/appointments, browsing the internet and believe it or not I actually use it as a phone. So far it has been very stable, easy to use and very slim/light weight.
My IT guy asked me if I would like to upgrade to the new iPhone 3G which is completely touch screen and on the bulky side. My past experience with a touch screen was with the HTC 8525 which was nice at first but quickly became annoying when working with emails and texting. This is because that phone had the slide-out style keyboard under the touch screen. This was necessary to use because the letters were too small for my big hands to use without a stylis on the touch screen itself.

My question is, from your experience how easy is the iPhone to use for business purposes? I would of course like playing with all the apps they have for the phone but it’s not the deal breaker for me really. I did like the touch screen for internet browsing purposes and for navigating the file structure of the phone but did not like it for emails and texting (although the touch screen keys were small).

Blackberry is the king of emails and business usage.

As goes for iphone, typing is easy on it even with extended messages. Just the spell checker still sucks.

Blackberry is the king of emails and business usage.

As goes for iphone, typing is easy on it even with extended messages. Just the spell checker still sucks.

Ya, I had the oldschool Blackberry a couple years ago. I didn't care for the way it was organized but it was a good PDA. I know they have made a lot of improvements since then too. Unfortunately the Blackjack II I currently have or the iPhone 3G are my only 'free' options right now.

I went from Blackberry to iPhone and the iPhone has come along in the last year, but I think the BB still is better for business.

ATT coverage just plain sux. I'm in Atlanta, GA and when I leave town it's like 1998 all over again.

Typing is better now with OS 3.0, but it takes getting used to.

Spell check = crap
Autotext = crap

email and browsing is better to look at on the iPhone

iPhone is slow! Response is slow to switching between messaging and phone for example. Much slower than BB. I can't stand to go to my contacts to make a call and have to wait 10-12 seconds for it to respond. (please don't respond with fixes. I'm a developer and have seen this since day 1)

Battery life = crap. 3GS, 3G, 1G all have bittery life of a sick gnat!! My BB could go 3-4 days w/o recharging. iPhone? About 12 hours.

For excahnge server mail, it works great. Search feature works great for going through mail.

hope this helps

Heh, simultaneous postings :beer:

Yes, everything is very snappy and fast on my Blackjack II as well and it doesn't freeze/hang up like my old HTC 8525 used to either. Over all I've been pretty happy with it. I guess with all the flashy apps and hype over the iPhone and having it as a free option available to me, I thought I'd at least see what it had to offer from people who have had both.

Back