• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI x58 Platinum Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DRSoccer5

Registered
Hey everyone,

I'm currently running an i7-920 in a MSI x58 Platinum mb with 3gb of ram. The x58 board has switches for overclocking directly on the board. After setting up the computer back in January, I had it overclocked to 160 using the switches. I ran the computer this way without any problems for quite some time and was enjoying the output of the 940.

A few months ago, my house was hit by lightning causing damage to our phones, internet, a weather station and my computer. Initially, nothing happened to the computer, but several days later it wouldn't boot. I got an error saying that the time and date needed to be set in the BIOS but was unable to do so because the keyboard wasn't working. After much frustration, I was able to fix this and have been using the computer ever since. Every once in a while it will do something odd, such as the keyboard not working, or no sound, but its always easily fixed.

Running the computer now, the overclocking switches are all set in the off position. Default (133) is supposed to have one off, two on. Recently I tried overclocking it again just to try my luck, and set two switches off and one on.
The computer wouldn't boot and it corrupt windows. What gets me is that it won't even boot with the switches set for 133, it only works when they're all set to off.

Sorry this was so long. I was just curious as to whether or not anyone has any ideas. Its frustrating knowing that its capable of much more. On the other hand I suppose I should be happy it still works...

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to O/C Forums :)

By what you posted the board indeed got damaged by the lightning hit, but not severely. As time went on the damage is starting to get worse affecting the board's stability. Nothing you will do will revert it back to non-damaged status. Your best bet is to RMA it.

I would also suggest you test all the other components before installing them in your new replacement. Something else could have been damaged as well, but until you test each part you won't know for sure.

I was thinking about doing the RMA but didn't think electrical damage would be covered. I assumed that they'd be able to figure that out. I don't think the damage is getting worse. Its perfectly stable until I mess with it some more haha. I suppose it is what it is. It makes me hesitant to do any further upgrades though. I'm using windows 7 64 bit (upgraded from xp) so I'd like to add more ram. Doesn't seem worthwhile though not knowing how it will handle anything new.

Have you tried OCing form the bios.Im sure Neb can help you if it turns out you can OC from the bios.Im not so sure your board was damaged.I had no luck with those switches either

As I was typing the first post I realized I never tried it from the bios. I do believe that there is damage somewhere due to the fact that I had OC using those switches before and now can't even boot with them in the default setting. I'll have to give it a shot through the bios though.

Any chance flashing the bios would correct any problems? I've never done it before, and would prefer not to, but would consider it just to eliminate it as the culprit.

Its currently running BIOS A7522IMS V1.0. Although when I entered BIOS it says v02.61 on the bottom. That has me a little confused...

well, flashing the bios was not the most fun I've ever had. I tried using M-Flash to use bios version 3.6, but was unsuccessful. It took a few tries before getting it to boot again. Then I was able to upgrade to version 1.5 using MSI Live. After which I read that Windows based flashes were even more dangerous.

So far I've been able to use the overclocking switches to get it to the default 133. We'll see what happens next.

So it appears that flashing the bios fixed my overclocking problem. I have it running at 3.36 ghz. However, windows 7 does not recognize the oc. Any ideas as to why??

Also, while running the Windows Experience Index, cpu temps reached 80c. Any problems there? That's higher than I remember seeing in the past.

More than likely even though the bios says 3.36ghz it controlled by intels speed step and it has no load when you looking in windows 7 so it see the the default speed

Its currently running BIOS A7522IMS V1.0. Although when I entered BIOS it says v02.61 on the bottom. That has me a little confused...

That's weird...I don't remember there ever being a v2.61 bios for the first gen X-fire based boards. I think the highest was 1.5 and the SLI version I believe started at 3.0 and is now 3.6. I'd RMA that board if I were you. If it were out of warranty, then I'd flash it...but it seems too risky if Windows is unstable. I just flashed mine from 1.5 to 3.6 using AFUWIN440. You get a message prior to flashing asking if you want to force the command or accept the recommendation to add /c command to inputs...choose force. It erases everything and reprograms completely. You also get a few additional options in the BIOS that are not there in X-fire version. I have mine mildly o/c to 3GHz using a 212+ Hyper fan...(I did'nt need anymore clocks for what I'm doing). It works great in SLI with 2x GTX275. I just got finished Prime and Orthos torture testing it yesterday after 48 hours straight...(had to borrow another card). The thing is rock stable.

Back