• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How Much Is Too Much???????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

paupton

If I have a 300 watt psu how do I know when I have reached the threshold on power draw on the PSU? Do I add up the watts or the amps draw from all the devices combined. Would this be an accurate gauge. Also how much does a XP 1700 with a Ti 500 GF3 draw from the PSU.? If we could get a figure for the MOBO and VGA I would know how much reserve is left for the drives etc. Also how much power does a HDD, CDR draw. I can find the draw in amps but nothing in watts. If the PSU is rated for 3 volt 16 amp, 5 volt 30 amp and 12 volt 11 amp output is this a combined total.
Some of electrical engineers please respond. I know that the psu cannot be overtaxed and still adequately supply the MOBO with the power it needs to run properly.
WAITING..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... . . . .

you will know if you reached the threshold if your computer is unstable or locks up for no reason or when its under load

I recommend atleast a 350watt if your doing xp and a gf3 sense those are both power hungery

Back