• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KlinkB

I have my friends Acer 5004 laptop that I'm trying to format and reinstall XP on. It will not boot to the CD. When I go into the OS and select the CD rom its not reading the disk. I have 2 different CD's and they both are real copies. I can put a regular audio CD in and it reads fine. If you guys have any suggestions I'd really appreciate it. I want to get this done asap..

Thanks in advance!

yea its first in the order.. i dont know if acer has it blocked some how or what.. i dont have any other cds that are bootable.. it doesnt even say "press any key to boot from cd" which is weird.. im thinking its either the dvd rom or acer software? im leaning towards the dvd rom.. i might get an adapter to use a different cd rom.. i dont want to but it might come down to that i think

Don't have a burner? Could burn something bootable, like memtest, and try it out.

i could try a different type of boot cd.. if i decide to try and use an external cdrom drive, does anyone know if it will pick it up? the bios on this thing is pretty limited as to what can be done..

All depends on the BIOS, A lot of older BIOS's don't support booting from USB. If you start the laptop up with a USB drive plugged in, it could appear in the BOOT priority menu in the BIOS or if the laptop has a Boot menu (normally pressing F8 or F12 while POSTING) it should be displayed their if the laptop supports booting from USB.

All depends on the BIOS, A lot of older BIOS's don't support booting from USB. If you start the laptop up with a USB drive plugged in, it could appear in the BOOT priority menu in the BIOS or if the laptop has a Boot menu (normally pressing F8 or F12 while POSTING) it should be displayed their if the laptop supports booting from USB.

when its booting ill press f12 and it shows all the devices.. if i select cdrom it keeps booting.. i had a flash drive in but it doesnt see that at all

Sorry but it seems that the laptop does not support booting from USB devices :(

Have you tried booting from another disc? I.e If you have a Win98 disk you could boot in the DOS prompt with CD-ROM support and maybe run the WinXP setup from their.

Last edited:
Sorry but it seems that the laptop does not support booting from USB devices :(

Have you tried booting from another disc? I.e If you have a Win98 disk you could boot in the DOS prompt with CD-ROM support and maybe run the WinXP setup from their.

i dont have any other os discs unfortunately.. im asking my friend to see if he has the recovery discs.. if not im not sure what else there is to do.. i dont think it will allow me to boot to an external disc drive.. this laptop makes me want to :bang head

If you PM me your email address I will send you a bootable iso ready to be burned to disk. Its only about 3MB and has CD support.

Email sent. Once you have booted with CD-ROM support, type "x:" (change x to the letter assigned to your CD drive) press enter. then type "x:\i386\winnt.exe"

Hopefully WinXP setup will start.

You could always type "x:" (press enter) then type "dir" just to see if the drive can actually read the disk ok.

Email sent. Once you have booted with CD-ROM support, type "x:" (change x to the letter assigned to your CD drive) press enter. then type "x:\i386\winnt.exe"

Hopefully WinXP setup will start.

You could always type "x:" (press enter) then type "dir" just to see if the drive can actually read the disk ok.

thank you! i got an acer back up disk from him but i dont think thats the proper disc.. im at work right now so i havent had a chance to look at it yet.. if that doesnt work ill try that iso :beer:

well it booted to the back up cd............ lol that makes me so mad.. so it looks like a ghost image.. we'll see how it goes!

Back