• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bsel mod... went from 2.8ghz to 2.1ghz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RandysSOHC

Registered
info:

d865glc
p4 2.8ghz
2gb ram

I tried the bsel mod,,,
wrapped a thin copper wire around bsel1 to bsel0
& put a cover over bsel1 (wire loom from a thin wire)
started the computer & it dropped to 2.1ghz :bang head

I tried without the wire.. & switched covering to the bsel0 also...
everything stayed at 2.8ghz,

(sorry for the first post like this) should have introduced myself but I'm wondering whats going on with this,

I'll be a good active member since I havent joined any OC forum yet & its what I do. :santa:

any info I left out let me know

can I get this thread moved to the 'Socket 423/478' section?

the sockets a 478

to make sure you applied the right mod... what is the fsb of the cpu and what is the highest native fsb the motherboard supports. if the besl mod wasnt done right then you could have underclocked the cpu...

i see the mobo name but that really doesnt tell me much... is that intel or from foxconn, etc?

its intel
FSB is at 533mhz & it supports 800mhz (maximum)
bus speeds at 133mhz & I'm trying to reach 200mhz
multiplier x 21

do me a favor, get cpuz, www.cpuid.com, post a SS of the cpu tab. tring to go with a 200fsb with a 21x multi is going to make it 4.2ghz. there is no way on socket478 to lower the multi. 4.2ghz isnt possible on that old of a platform for 24/7 use. you might hit that speed using LN2 or phase but not air or water.

sadly there are no other options for Bsel mods in between 533 and 200.

thats what I was beginning to think...
4.2ghz is pretty risky, ,,but I've read that its been done, & that 2.4ghz would be the maximum anyone would want to run when doing the mod, as it would be 3.6ghz..
plus theres a mod to raise the voltage to 1.6 as mines at 1.5,
I air cooled so I wasn't sure if that would have been enough,
but I figured it would as my temps on speedfan are really low alot..
30degrees'ish~
cpuz has been running constantly for the past couple of days ,,just too lazy to post a screenshot :beer:

thanks for the help
I'll probably continue on with purchasing a 3.2 or 3.4ghz processor as planned

well idle temps mean nothing... if it isnt stable at load then the oc failed...

^thanks

I'm beginning to think that the loom cover I covered bsel1 with..the needle was sticking out of the tip..because it always smashed the loom that I used..
so the bsel1 & bsel0 was both running at LOW..
then it would be at 100mhz.. my multipliers at 21
thats 2.1ghz
thats what I think went wrong.
if I recall right by what I've researched on.
I'm able to put both bsel's at HIGH to make 166ghz,
which would give me at 3.4ghz & I'm thinking about giving that a shot,
the bsels on HIGH mod doesn't work with all intel motherboards from what I've read but I think its worth giving it a shot since I'm still interested in overclocking it,

also think I ran acrossed a mod to go from 1.5v to 1.6v, but I don't think thats nessecary with it running only at 3.4ghz since the motherboard supports it.

also, I was wrapping the copper wire (strained) around the pins,,,
I think I've been doing that wrong (much harder way)
when I could have been doing the U shape into the socket..
(not on the cpu)

any feedback would be appreciated,
I plan to try this shortly.

yes you can try the 166fsb settings but it is a desktop board after all. 166fsb was never supported by desktop boards so im 90% sure it will not work. if this was a mobile platform then the 166 bsel mod would work. as intel went 100,133,166,200 for the mobile P4's and never did that on desktop. just went as you see it 100, 133, 200.

i gonna need some some time to go thru the white papers... i thought i had the table made up for socket478.. then realized i did the tables for LGA775 and the Socket M/P's.

Last edited:
okay..
I went to get into it,,, put the loom cover over the bsel1 pin & it fell right over..
:( ...lol
I facepalmed so bad,
anyways... went ahead & put the processor back in & its running at 667mhz .. 3.4ghz
as stated in the bios...
windows will not boot as it says BOOTMGR is corrupt..
I just need to repair the boot with the windows cd not a big a deal there,,except
the computer crashes/freezes..
took a while to figure out what it was... but I watched the hardware monitor in the bios for about 3-4 minutes & the cpu temp went from 40ish degrees to 60-65 & freezes...
I reboot & the display wont come on.. so I wait a few minutes to let it cool down & reboot & I can get in,
I did not use any thermal paste which I should have, the most basic thing didnt cross my mind, which I'm thinking & hoping is the only problem with it,
so tomorrow I'll stop & pick some up & give it another try

but I'm glad to see it made it where I wanted it... at 3.4ghz

i got the thermal paste & cleaned everything up & reapplied the paste & put it back together..
it boots & the cpu temp in bios says 40degrees..
left it running like that as I fixed everything up in the bios again from resetting it.

but the problem I have now is windows wont boot...
goes to starting windows screen & sits there.
& I try to reinstall windows by my windows disc but it loads & goes back to 'starting windows screen'

so I'm curious on what the problem is.
I'm thinking I may need to use hirens boot cd & fiddle around ,,,cause last time I had the BOOTMGR corrupt....first time booting this time I got a bluescreen after loading windows in the start screen.

any help would be appreciated :)

also.. when it sits at the windows screen..I push teh power button & the display goes out.. I continue to hold it in & it reads the A drive which I've always had disabled in the bios before shutting down.

Just because it boots, doesn't mean anything. On very unstable overclocks Windows will not load. My I7 will boot at 4.7, but freezes at the welcome screen for Windows and then a BSOD.

Sounds like you are lacking is voltages.

okay,
I'm back up & running at normal 2.8ghz...533mhz..133..
I ended up just putting a thin copper wire from bsel1 to a VSS source beside it..
I tried bumping the voltage to 1.55.. it booted & went farther into the windows startup screen but then still throwed a bsod
I tried 1.6v & it wouldn't boot, I also tried 1.7v & it also wouldn't boot.

& I tried the bsel0 to a VSS & bsel1 broke off. = 800mhz / 200mhz
but it wouldn't boot...

so in the end I'm guessing the issue is with the power supply
I'm sure the 3.4ghz would have worked with a 1.6v supply but mine wouldn't boot :/

so I tried everything around the clock.
I appreciate all the help! I had a great experience learning what I learned & hope to use the bsel mod in the future

at least I got to see my cpu at 3.4ghz in the bios :D

Back