• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA x58 x4 SLI mobo???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

risingsun

I just saw this through evga's news system:

http://www.evga.com/articles/00501/

I'm really just confused of a feasible way to house and run this thing.....

They seem to push the 4 gtx285's with it and I cant figure out how you could get that much power to the system.

According to the website:

Each GPU needs 640W of power
and they have 600W dedicated power to the CPU.

thats 3200W of power needed...

Just wondering anyones thoughts or if there is a feasable way to do this...and I know about PSU mods for pelts(dedicated). And if you could even house this in somthing if you could get the power

Each of the GPU's is powered by the power supply directly. Theres 2 PCIe connectors for each video card. And your figures are a bit off. Each GTX285 uses about 315 watts FULL LOAD, 1260 watts total IF you could load 4 cards (which jesus christ, Im not sure how besides benchies??).

The 600w is what the motherboard can accept.

Doz, there are three six pins for these 285's, but that does not mean that they use 640w anymore than the CPU is using 600w. There is no desktop CPU out there that would use even close to 600w just like there is no GPU using 640w. This motherboard is nothing but an e-penis thing.

Yah Kal-El from XS/Overclockaholics picked on of these up with 4 260 classifieds. Last month Did not work though IIRC. Think he had to RMA the board though. Never got 4way SLI going, not sure if quadfire 5870s worked either.

There are OCF benchers (rdrash, icebob, and deanzo's waiting on his) with the E762, that will be running 4 - 5870's subzero. The 285's are a special 4 way capable version.
Good luck finding a case with 10 expansion slots for this board to fit into :) Built for an open bench it is...

I thought you needed a special version for 4-way.

HOLY crap just looked the thing is almost 14" long!

Comaptible cases...
Lian Li PC-P80
Lian Li PC-P80R
HEC 98 98R9BB
Thermaltake Xaser VI VG4000SNA
Thermaltake Xaser VI VG4000BWS
Thermaltake Xaser VI VG4000BNS
Thermaltake Xaser VI VG4000BNSB
Thermaltake ArmorPlus VH6000BWS
Mountain Mods Acension w/ Modular Motherboard Tray 10 PCI Slot
Xigmatek CPC-T75UB-U01

Doz, there are three six pins for these 285's, but that does not mean that they use 640w anymore than the CPU is using 600w. There is no desktop CPU out there that would use even close to 600w just like there is no GPU using 640w. This motherboard is nothing but an e-penis thing.

OOOhhh, I didnt realize they added another power port for the "classified". Regardless, its still a 285 and I really dont see it pulling THAT much more power (definitely not 640w).

Even if it does, thats just plain stupid when the new ATI cards are using less than previous versions (stock). Even overclocked to the max I couldnt see the cards pulling 640w. Maybe but id want to see proof.

Yah Kal-El from XS/Overclockaholics picked on of these up with 4 260 classifieds. Last month Did not work though IIRC. Think he had to RMA the board though. Never got 4way SLI going, not sure if quadfire 5870s worked either.

Unless I've missed some news, the only Nvidia cards that will run 4way is the Evga 285 Classified, no other GTX285 or any other Nvidia card will run 4way.
So if he tried with 260's, that was never going to work.

Quadfire does, works on all Classified boards.

OOOhhh, I didnt realize they added another power port for the "classified". Regardless, its still a 285 and I really dont see it pulling THAT much more power (definitely not 640w).

Even if it does, thats just plain stupid when the new ATI cards are using less than previous versions (stock). Even overclocked to the max I couldnt see the cards pulling 640w. Maybe but id want to see proof.

Under full load with 4 ATI cards, you'll pull sooo much power that the 24pin plug gets soo hot it often melts.
Evga have even given a mod out to help some of the power to by pass the 24pin plug.
Nvida cards don't seem to pull as much, so you don't get this issue.
As I understand it, the E762 doesn't need the mod

Last edited:
So will these cards really be able to pull 640 watts though as claimed? That seems like an aweful lot. You are essetially doubling the power of a normal 285 and I understand that they dont scale 100%, but even scaling 50% overclock and pushing double the power?

It just almost seems like the card would "run out of juice" before it reaches that 640watt load.

There are OCF benchers (rdrash, icebob, and deanzo's waiting on his) with the E762, that will be running 4 - 5870's subzero. The 285's are a special 4 way capable version.
Good luck finding a case with 10 expansion slots for this board to fit into :) Built for an open bench it is...

Not waiting anymore:beer: I have the board, 4 5870, a w3580, 2 psu 6gigs of perfect storm, the only problem I'm about 900 miles away from my rig:bang head hope to be back home maybe monday, so we'll see how it goes, can't wait:beer:

I have the case someone give me the motherboard and gpu's so i can fold :D

Back