• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BSOD while overclocking Q9550

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Milkeh

Hey guys I'm pretty new to overclocking and I'm not quite sure if this is the right section I should be posting in. If not then please feel free to move it.

First of all I am currently running:

Windows 7 x64
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
ASUS P5Q Motherboard
Corsair XMS2 DDR2 4GB (2x2GB)
tx-750w Corsair PSU

I am currently at my aim of about 4GHz but keep getting blue screen while running Prime95 for a couple minutes with the returned error.

Code:
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:	BlueScreen
  OS Version:	6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
  Locale ID:	3081

Additional information about the problem:
  BCCode:	124
  BCP1:	0000000000000000
  BCP2:	FFFFFA80055E8028
  BCP3:	00000000B2000040
  BCP4:	0000000000000800
  OS Version:	6_1_7600
  Service Pack:	0_0
  Product:	256_1

My current settings are:

Multiplier: 8.5
FSB Speed: 470
vCore: 1.34v
DRAM: 2.1v
NB: 1.26v
SB: 1.1v

I'm not quite sure why but in CPU-Z it is telling me that I am still running everything at stock and vCore at 1.32v. While stressing I am only getting around 56C so I don't think that I'm overheating.

Any ideas?

I assume the DRAM frequency is set to 940MHz w/ timings set to 5-5-5-15-2T (all sub-timings on AUTO)? Your voltages look good for a FSB of 470MHz, but one you didn't list is FSB Termination Voltage (VTT), which at that frequency should be about 1.26V. Also set...

Code:
CPU GTL Reference: Auto
CPU PLL Voltage: Auto
LLC: Enabled
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled
CPU Clock Skew: Auto
NB Clock Skew: Auto
CPU Margin Enhancement: Compatible

... and post pic's of CPU-Z open to the CPU, Memory, and SPD tabs.

Hey thanks a lot for your reply.

My DRAM frequency was actually set to auto because I wasn't too sure about it. You are correct about my timing, they are set to 5-5-5-15 (manual with all sub settings on auto.)

My FSB Termination Voltage was already to 1.26 but I did not have the listed setting disabled.

I managed to fix the issue with it dropping back to the 6.0 multiplier as I have some settings on that I should have in the cpu configuration. I wasn't actually too sure what settings I was meant to have enabled/disabled in this section so I thought I would come to you. I currently have the following:

C1E Support: Disabled
Max CPUID Value Limit: Disabled
Intel (R) Virtualization Tech: Disabled
CPU TM Function: Enabled
Execute Disable Bit: Enabled

As for the CPU-Z pics.

capturesx.png

capture2ef.png

capture3z.png

Both slots #1 and #3 have the same settings.

Those settings look OK, but set set CPU TM Function to Disabled. And if you ever plan on using XP Mode (Virtual PC) in Win7, you'll want to enable Intel Virtualization Tech.

Assuming your RAM passes Memtest86+, what are you running as far as video card(s), including the version of driverset? And have you tried running the GPU and CPU tests in OCCT?

Assuming your RAM passes Memtest86+, what are you running as far as video card(s), including the version of driverset? And have you tried running the GPU and CPU tests in OCCT?

I am currently running a single Zotac GTX275. I just recently downgraded my drivers due to issues with it. Although this was after and during bluescreen issues so I don't think this really has anything to do with it. I haven't run Memtest86+ just yet but I'll do that tonight. I will also look testing my GPU and CPU in OCCT. How long do you recommend testing my ram on Memtest, just overnight?

What was your highest fsb without bsod?

I haven't really put the time in to check what fsb frequencies are stables and which are not, I though though it was possible to shoot at a rough frequency without going over the top and attempt to bring it to a stable point. :\

I just tested with OCCT and I got no errors with my CPU but only ran the GPU test for about 5 mins because it put my GPU temp up to about 92C and this really didn't feel safe running for an hour.

Back