• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

anyone with a i7 laptop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
yea that is right i7 in a laptop and not the desktop version in laptop either.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2034940032 1039349576&name=Intel Core i7
intel's non-extreme's are 45watt TDP the extreme is 55watts(@2ghz 8mb L3).

in order
I7-920XM
http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLBLW
I7-820QM
http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLBLX
I7-720QM
http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLBLY

wonder when some companies (aka MSI/Jetway) release a M-itx board to use these cpu's.

This seems great but wouldnt the cooling of a laptop since laptops can get pretty hot anyways not be able to handle a high end system without overheating and eventually breaking?

This seems great but wouldnt the cooling of a laptop since laptops can get pretty hot anyways not be able to handle a high end system without overheating and eventually breaking?

No. Did you read the OP? 45W TDP. That's only 10W more than my T5800, and the same as C2Q Mobile Q9100. Pretty good considering it is a quad core with HT. I just don't see what the purpose of that kind of processing power is useful for in a laptop. If you run Gentoo and have to compile things that's great, but you can't do that on battery, especially on a quad-core, so why would you put these in a laptop? Call them "Low Power" or something; Mobile just doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
No. Did you read the OP? 45W TDP. That's only 10W more than my T5800, and the same as C2Q Mobile Q9100. Pretty good considering it is a quad core with HT. I just don't see what the purpose of that kind of processing power is useful for in a laptop. If you run Gentoo and have to compile things that's great, but you can't do that on battery, especially on a quad-core, so why would you put these in a laptop? Call them "Low Power" or something; Mobile just doesn't make sense.

Desktop replacements, some people don't want to buy a desktop and a laptop. This just saves money, and remember, Intel Atom isn't really decent yet; so for some people, this is a smart choice.

Intel Atom isn't really decent yet; so for some people, this is a smart choice.
well lets be honest here Atom was never meant to be decent. it was meant to get the job done with a little power as possible. it doesn't take a quad core at 3+ghz to run excel or word or surf the web... IMO for what atom is and aimed at it is perfect. Atom could be better but then why would intel want this cpu to take away possible sales from Core 2 or the new i7 based mobile cpus.

Are people running corporate databases on laptop machines now!?

No kidding... i can't think of a need for that much power in a notebook... and 45watts TDP in a notebook? Might as well throw out my stove since i'll never need to cook on it again...

My 2watt Atom in my netbook gets nice and toasty on a bed. I'd HATE to see 45watt :eek:

well lets be honest here Atom was never meant to be decent. it was meant to get the job done with a little power as possible. it doesn't take a quad core at 3+ghz to run excel or word or surf the web... IMO for what atom is and aimed at it is perfect. Atom could be better but then why would intel want this cpu to take away possible sales from Core 2 or the new i7 based mobile cpus.

Yes, I understood that. I was just eliminating the netbook as a choice for most users when it comes to desktop replacements. I would prefer an i7 laptop over a desktop + netbook in my opinion (when prices are balanced).

I like having a laptop that can play games when I am away from home. Seriously, when did we start say "thats too much power you don't need that"

Desktop replacements, some people don't want to buy a desktop and a laptop. This just saves money, and remember, Intel Atom isn't really decent yet; so for some people, this is a smart choice.

Exactly. Some people require a portable computer, not necessarily a mobile one. Engineers come to mind. Some engineers do consulting work using software like Solidworks, Matlab, Abaqus, Star CCM+, etc etc. These packages need lots of powa! And if they do consulting work, being able to take a laptop with and do demonstrations on site is a plus! Obviously they need to plug in the power adapter, but that is not the point

I have the DV7 3085 with a I7 and a gt230m.

VMs for work, games, and anything I want to do when I am stuck in a hotel for 3.5 weeks out of the month.

Desktop replacement because I NEED a desktop replacement for the work I am doing. I am looking for a second caddy and a drive now so that I can load up the OS and programs we are running and actually work with them while I am sitting at a hotel and test for bugs etc.

I will have one early next year. In my current living situation I don't have room for a desktop so a notebook is my only choice. I do a fair amount of video encoding so I do need the power of an i7, I just don't have room for. I'll be getting either a Studio 15 or Studio XPS 16, certainly not huge machines by any stretch.

Yes, I understood that. I was just eliminating the netbook as a choice for most users when it comes to desktop replacements. I would prefer an i7 laptop over a desktop + netbook in my opinion (when prices are balanced).

I wouldn't. My 1000HE is the perfect travel companion, full size laptops weight several times that of the 1000he, battery life is laughable, and they produce a ton of heat. My boss carries around a full size lappy, I prefer the 1000he for portability & great battery life, and my desktop at home for everything else. I still play starcraft and d2 on the netbook if Im really bored and hitting the forums just isnt enough!

Now I do wish there was a netbook sized box that could run 3d games well @1280x600 (10" netbook screen resolution), but Im sure we will get one someday in the future. I considered replacing the netbook with a 15" widescreen with a c2d and discrete graphics so I could do some gaming, but its just not worth only having 1/4 the battery life, being much bulkier, and double or more the weight.

Also, if you prefer natural split keyboards, you will never be completely happy with a laptop keyboard. So you can never truly have a desktop replacement laptop and have a keyboard you actually like.

Plus, why settle for a 15"-18" laptop screen when you can have a cheap 22-28" on a desktop? I tell ya, go with an ultra portable netbook + a full desktop. Both can be bought/built easily for the same price as a single i7 laptop (cheapest decent ones I've seen cost 1400-1500 bucks minimum; where a good 10" netbook is 300-400 and a full desktop incl 24"+ monitor can be built for around 800-1200).

Last edited:
I'm thinking of getting an i7 laptop, not as a desktop replacement, but for when I travel I have a full powered desktop replacement basically. Got a nice HD camcorder recently and encoding and editing videos on my girlfriends laptop is really really slow and the integrated Intel video playback is fine, but editing software doesn't like it and I'd like to be able to encode and edit my videos while on vacation (especially those long 1 - 2 month summer trips).

Back