• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buying new motherboard - Need Advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RIPSTER

Im planning to buy a Corsair 550W VX next week, my dad very kindly has agreed to buy me a motherboard, I was thinking about this one, I've been out of the loop for quite a while so I'm a bit rusty. I plan to run SLI in the near future. Going to run the board along with a P4 S775 Proc untill I get the funds to replace that aswell.

What do you guys think? any known issues with that board or possible any better alternatives?

I was also thinking about this XFX board instead, although I'm not too sure because the Asus has a lot more reviews. One quick question, how can the board be pre-oced to 1800MHZ if its just the board on its own?

thanks in advance

Any help appreciated

So you already have a cpu and ram for the 775 board?
There are probably more reviews on the Asus board than the XFX. Probably better support. Is the XFX a "used" board?

got CPU, going to be buying RAM along with the PSU.

Am I right in saying the only chipset that provides SLI support are the Nforce ones?

Also can you get a board with SLI and integrated VGA?

There is a used and new XFX board for sale, will be getting the new one if any

Still unsure whether to go with an SLI board, which means I'll have to buy a cheap PCIE Video card now, or to just go with a cheaper non SLI board with integrated VGA and Buy a good video card later.

If I dont go for an Nforce chipset what chipset would be best?

I probably will be going for a decent OC but nothing extreme

If you're going to be getting a motherboard, RAM, and CPU, then I would have to suggest getting an i5/i7 platform. This is b/c LGA775 will not be getting any new CPUs in the future (But since you're using P4 I guess you still have an upgrade path...). Also, P55/X58 (i5/i7) chipsets support both SLI and Xfire.

I would definately say if you can get the funds together... get an i5 750

The CPU 1s £150+/-
The MB is £100+/- for a good ASUS one
The RAM is £80+/-

It may sound a bit steep but realistically this is very good value for money.

Also the performance gained over a P4 will blow you away.

... then theres the fact you say you are going to buy the rest at a later date therfore spending money on an EOL that isnt much different in price from i5.

As a final point i wouldnt use Ebuyer as they are expensive for components...

Use:

Code:
[url]http://www.aria.co.uk[/url] or [url]http://www.overclockers.co.uk[/url]

Aria is often cheaper but overclockers generally has a better range.

Hope this helps

Found a cheap i5 setup on aria...

CPU
Code:
[url]http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/CPUs+%2F+Processors/Intel/Core+i5/Intel+i5+750+CPU+%5B2.66GHz%2C+Retail%2C+Socket+1156%5D+?productId=37674[/url]
£145.71

MOTHERBOARD
Code:
[url]http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Motherboards/Intel+Socket+1156/Gigabyte+P55M-UD2+Intel+Motherboard+LGA+1156+Socket+?productId=37725[/url]
£78.14

RAM
Code:
[url]http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Memory/DDR3/DDR3+1333+%28PC3-10666%29/G.SKILL+DDR3+1333+PC10666+4GB+%282GB+x+2%29+?productId=37610[/url]
£68.94

TOTAL = £272.79

Not too bad... a Core 2 setup would not be any different... but have less performance!

That i5 mobo, the GA-P55M-UD2, doesn't support SLI; at least by what it says in the description. Although, it may have a BIOS update to support SLI. Also, be aware it is a mATX motherboard as well, in case that matters to you.

These people have you taken care of as far as the mobos's go. Just dont expect the world out of that chipset and overclocking the CPU...

Why SLI? A large single card wont do?

That i5 mobo, the GA-P55M-UD2, doesn't support SLI; at least by what it says in the description. Although, it may have a BIOS update to support SLI. Also, be aware it is a mATX motherboard as well, in case that matters to you.

Yeah... it doesn't sorry... overlooked that... was just searching for soemthing cheap.

These people have you taken care of as far as the mobos's go. Just dont expect the world out of that chipset and overclocking the CPU...

Why SLI? A large single card wont do?

Exactly... SLI isnt really worth it... and often offers less performance if use witha non supportive game.

"I would definately say if you can get the funds together... get an i5 750" +1

I assumed he had a nvidia card, or 2, for the reason he wanted sli. :shrug:

I assumed he had a nvidia card, or 2, for the reason he wanted sli. :shrug:
After looking at the thread a little more critically, Im assuming he is not going to SLI that FX5700 in his sig :santa:...and was going to get a better single card, THEN go SLI "down the road" like he stated in the original post. In post 3, it infers he does not have a card already worthy of SLI.

What I was getting at was what games does he play and at what resolution does he play at that he feels he needs/wants to go that route? SLI has its merits, but not for most people. This guy likely being one of them.

I dont think that P55 board will even run his P4 chip either so thats a problem (right?).

I didn't really want to go i5/i7, although I can see the advantages, better performance for virtualy the same price in the end compared to a dual or quad S775 system. The time it would take to have an i5 system up and running, if I'm buying it piece by piece is whats putting me off.

I can just about afford to go the S775 route I was thinking of first. I wasnt looking to go all out price wise, I'm thinking now to just get a non SLI S775 board, but what chipset if I'm not getting an Nforce? Planning to use the pc for gaming, Star trek online, Modern warfare, UT3, Dragon age origins, probably a few others, but none immediatley to mind.

advice still welcome :)

Back