• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Zune HD Discussion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MonkeyMhz

I just got a ZuneHD, its amazing. Way better than I expected, insanely fast.

I started developing apps for it, and its pretty straight forward. No proper 3D support yet, I believe that's coming next firmware.

I had troubles getting firmware 4.3 it kept saying 4.1 was the latest, but just change your PC region to UK, as well as the time. And then it detects 4.3 and updates. Lol.

So far I made a app with a FPS counter, and a birds eye view were you can move around a map by tilting the device and then you can place buildings and objects. I'm trying to think of what I should make, im mainly itching for 3D stuff. But until there's proper 3D support Ill see what I can do in 2D, I was thinking some sort of tower defense or something.

Anyways thoughts, ideas, opinions, rumors?

I thought MS was limiting app development to partners that they selected/worked closely with and not creating an app store similar to Apple/Google?

I have one, and its awesome. The OLED screen is beautiful. I will say though that the glossy screen creates some unwanted reflections so once I get the chance I'll be picking up a matte screen cover.

I had a friend who wanted to see how black the black is how good the OLEDs are. But still the pictures don't do justice but here's some I took. Its in a pitch black room, I leaned the zune against the wall and put the digital camera on the floor. But it still gets blurred, cameras don't like darkness and no flash.

contast01.jpg
contrast02.jpg
zunehdocf1.jpg

Ok, I think im pretty familiar with ZuneHD and XNA 3.1, and I think I can say that I can easily master how the multi-touch and controls work when coding.

I whipped together a little demo application today, here's screens from it. (Screens were taken while it was debugging, w/XNA Device Center)

Test Demo 1:
Just a map there you can look around with by tilting the device around, don't mind the building, just some quick graphics I whipped together (terrible).
zunehd1.jpg

Screen when you hold your finger over the logo:
zunehd3.jpg

Test Demo 2:
The ball moves around when you tilt the device and when you put your finger on the screen the ball starts to come towards your finger, the more pressure you press with the faster the ball will follow your finger.
zunehd2.jpg

So now I have a couple ideas for some 2D games while I wait for 3D support.
Don't know weather I should make some sort of birds eye view tower defense, some cheap lil RPG. Or some basket ball game or golf or something.

Back