• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it worth it to replace x58 e760 classified NB/SB thermal compound?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zonnza

So soon enough Ill be purchasing and installing a new CPU cooler in my PC, but I was wondering if it may also be worth it at the same time to replace the thermal compound on the northbridge and southbridge of my mobo.

I plan to get some thermal paste, looks like I may get arctic silver 5 or oczfreeze or something thats good.

Do u guys think it is worth the time to replace the thermal compound on the NB/SB chips with a different thermalpaste?

Also if there any thermal paste you guys would recommend? Im new to this so I don't really know what pastes are good, so anything would be good for a recommendation.

Will you be OCing? How much? Since you're getting a Classy, I sure hope you're planning to OC, but even if you do, there will be no practical bennefit in re-applying mobo TIM. But, if it makes you feel better, it doesn't hurt either.

AS5 is the gold standard, and still as good as most of the new stuff...that's what I use for air/water cooling.

Personally I always replace the TIM on my motherboard and GPU as soon as I test it's not DOA. Will it have any real benefit, probably not but i'm sure it will reduce temps some and running cooler is never bad.

Some people don't like AS5 for the NB/SB as it is slightly capacitive and can cause problems it it touches any traces ect (personally I've always used AS5, just been careful with it). If this worries you you can grab some artic cooling MX-2 which is non conductive and non capacitive and > or = to AS5.

A lot of the manufacturers use crappy TIM and too much of it on the NB. I've read that changing it does help temps. I would never use AS5 on GPU memory. mosfets or the NB, but that's just me. Better safe than sorry.

A lot of the manufacturers use crappy TIM and too much of it on the NB. I've read that changing it does help temps. I would never use AS5 on GPU memory. mosfets or the NB, but that's just me. Better safe than sorry.

Yeah I don't use it on mosfets or RAM chips, but it's no different using it on the NB than putting it on an old AXP.

I replaced the stock TIM on my ASUS WS revolution and it made a large difference, it wasnt so much the compound that was the problem as their horrible job of applying it and their shabby job of tightening down the onboard heatsinks. I had heard that the WS revolution board had some problems with high temps on the board so i had some gelid extreme sitting around and decided to change it out. Needless to say its running near 15c cooler now.

Back