• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Board for I7-920

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SybrCLocK

What is the most common high performing board for the 920?

Is it the P6T-Deluxe?

I have the following that need to be migrated:
- GF Card
- Asus Xonar Sound Card
- Promise EX8350

thanks

Best board o nthe market is the EVGA classified. There are a couple of flavors, with or without NF200 chip, and now they have a 4Way SLI board Prices are very high though should you be able to find them in stock.

Rampage 2 Extreme is ASUS's OC board. Also good from what I ahve read.

There are plenty of good ones out there without spending $300+ though. Best idea is to figure out your price range, find a couple of boards and ask for comparison.

I am sure someone will be able to say.. hey spend $20 more and get this... or save some money and get this :)

P6T-Deluxe is a decent board, I think you need to make sure to get the rev2 though. There are also mod bioses out that take care of some of the OCing issues it has (throttling most noticeably)

With air or water cooling you should get the most from the Asus RIIE. I just bought one, and waiting for it to arrive.
I'm not sure that anyone not using LN2 or DICE would be able to pull full potential out of the classified. Not to the level of an RIIE anyway.
Maybe I'm way out of line, but this seems to be the general consensus.
The P6T-D is a solid board and I would recommend it to anyone. That one I have used. It will clock pretty much as high as you need it to go, and it's a better value than the RIIE. I think it was Guatam that gave this board high marks in the benching department, but I could be wrong. My P6T-D(non Rev2)took my 920 C0 to 4GHz without breaking a sweat and only required a small bump in Vcore. The BIOS was great.
The other board I'll recommend is the Foxconn Bloodrage. I've been benching, folding and just generally tinkering around with this one for ~6 months now and it's a real contender. P09 BIOS ftw. Good Value too.

yeah i looked at the Rampage II, and it's expensive :)

My mark is 4Ghz on Air. if that is doable with the P6T i would go with that

I think any board will be capable of 4 GHz on air ;) Long as you have a good cooler / case air flow :)

Ridiculously easy.

it is cheep, nice looking and has the ports .. i might look into it

So the D0, C1 thing.. important?

p.s: did i mention i love this forum? :p

Yes, theres a pretty large difference between a C0 and D0.

D0s generally clock MUCH better with less voltage and heat (although not 100% of the time). Id say that of the people who overclock, 80-90% hit 4ghz without a hitch with a D0 chip. You very rarely hear of a D0 not getting 4ghz.

The EVGA X58 Micro, LE and Classified are the best i7 920 boards available bar none.

Gigabyte after that! :)

There are plenty of good 1366/X58 boards out there and it all depends on your budget and what you're looking for. Some popular boards, in no particular order, are:

EVGA 758-TR
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
ASUS P6TD
ASUS P6T
ASUS P6T SE
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R
Gigabyte EX58-UD4P
Gigabyte EX58-UD5

Honestly, it's tough to find a crappy board with an x58 chipset. You'd have to not do any comparisons and just buy the cheapest thing around. If you're buying EVGA, ASUS, Gigabyte, etc.. you're gonna get a good board.

And yes, getting to 4Ghz on a D0 is stupid easy. Just don't skimp on the cooler.

yeah i looked at the Rampage II, and it's expensive :)

My mark is 4Ghz on Air. if that is doable with the P6T i would go with that

I have a p6tDeluxe v2, and i can overclock the hell out of it its stable and fast, best board ive owned, its reviewed to be more stable at high temps

DFI LANParty UT X58-T3eH8

I've got a gigabyte ud5 and have no complaints.

The EVGA X58 Micro, LE and Classified are the best i7 920 boards available bar none.

Gigabyte after that! :)

If looking to go for a sick clock, The EVGA classified, the DFI board and the Gigabyte board mentioned so far are the ONLY ones I have found that will not "board limit" you. (From reviews) I can tell you right now the LE and the E758 boards while great, are not the "best available."

E758 had I to do it over again probably would not buy it. I am on a bench station and STILL needed needle nose pliers to hook up the CPU fan header and the 8 pin CPU power cable. The HUGE heatinsks on the chipset and the VRMs are pretty ineffective as well. Going to rip them off and see if I can fix it though :)

I have not tried playing with this one bios setting that may help the E758 clock past 220, because I can find no information on what it does.

Granted ALL the board mentioned will all push a i7 920 as far as it will stably go on air.

With 'better' methods of cooling and for benching, only the 3 I listed will get it done.

ASUS Rampage 2 extreme may or may not. Seen some people have issues past 220 BCLK, others scoot right past it on that board. I would pick up an R2E before I got another E758.

Oh yah.. E758 (may carry over to other boards) have memory seating issues as well. You will see a lot of F3-F6 reboot and 4E post codes on google. At first I thought it was a BIOS update that fixed it in retrospect it was probably me pushing the memory in hard enough that I was worried the heatspreaders would pop off ;)

It is a strong board though I would definitely not say it is a "BAD" board, but at $300 for a new one, I would look elsewhere.

+1 for Gigabyte X58-UD5. Gigabyte even has a PDF guide on how to OC the board to 4ghz. They use the "extreme" version as the example, but the UD5 is pretty much the same board with out WC options.

Very good motherboard indeed. I've been rather happy with mine. However, that guide should only be used as a rough guide because some of their voltages are bit too excessive, and in many cases, more than is needed.

+1 Asus RE II. Quick boot up and stable board for me.
+1 Evga 758-A1 less frills but good clocker
+1 EVGA 759-A1 very good clocker and NF200 for 3X SLI

Back