• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 VS. EVGA Classified 760

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rataboo90

Registered
Why is the EVGA board waaaaaayyyyy more expensive? Help bcuz I don't wanna blow an extra 200 bucks on the EVGA. I wanna OC the i7 to 4.5Ghz is that possible with the P6T?

Because it is WAAAAAY better quality. I believe it is 10 phase compared to 8 for the P6T.

4.5 is stretching it for 24/7, possible, but not probable, on the Classified. The CPU has a lot to do with it too. I can get 4.5 on my eVGA x58 SLI LE that was cheaper than both of those. Cooling the CPU at 4.5 usually requires at least water. Unless you have one hell of a chip, 1.40-1.45 volts minimum for 4.5. Some CPU's would require 1.5 or more and you can almost forget that on water too. I can do 4.5 at 1.45 and my temps were approaching 90c and I'm on water, with two 3x120 mm rads.

The P6T will throttle at about 4.3 unless you flash to a special BIOS for the Deluxe version 1. Without this BIOS, 4.5 on any P6T is unlikely if you stick with a 21x multiplier. Without the 21x, impossible on the P6T. That would be a 225 BCLK. The Classified is one of the few boards that can possibly go that high.

If you got the bucks to blow, go for it. If you are looking at it because you think it will guarantee a 4.5 ghz 920, I wouldn't, especially if you are only using one video card. This would be complete overkill.

Last edited:
The higher the phase, the better the voltage regulation. This is what I have on the cheapest 6 phase eVGA (229.00). 20 pass Linx (the hardest CPU stressing program) and 12 hours Prime 95 stable.

37422211.jpg

I could run at 4.5 all the time, but that's a LOT of extra voltage and heat for 300 MHz. If this is all new to you, spend some time reading. There are all kinds of threads around to help you.

4.5GHz is a bit steep. Are you planning on doing some benchmarking or something?
And I hope you have a nice watercooling setup or live in 10 degree ambients to keep that thing under control if you ever figure out how to get it to 4.5Ghz.

When we speak of phases, we're taking power phases or how the CPU gets its power. Mosfets, Inductors(chokes) and Capacitors. More phases generally means cleaner, more stable power to the CPU. That being said, there is not necessarily a parallel to be drawn between number of phases and overclocking potential or board quality. With the P6T-D, just count the chokes(Black boxes around the CPU) and that will tell you how many phases there are. I think it's 16 at the CPU plus 2 at the NB. Mosfets are usually under the Socket area heatsinks, capacitors are the silver cylinders around the CPU socket.

You might wanna sharpen your skills on a less expenisve board like the P6T-D before you blow $400+ on a 760 Classified. Chances are you won't get your money's worth out of the classified, and the P6T-D v2 is a Great board.

Last edited:
Amen! The Classified is an e-penis thing IMO.

For someone who just has to have "The Best Board" yes absolutely. I don't think you'll get much argument from anyone there.

From those hardcore cold benchers, you will likely get some dissagreement.

That is correct. There are the .5% of people out there that will go as high as possible, with extreme cooling, and could care less if they fry the CPU, motherboard, and everything else to push a CPU to the limits. Most people won't do this.

Most of the people buying this board are pushing the limits with a 4.0 overclock playing Crysis on a 24" monitor. Am I wrong? Look at the eVGA forums and see my overclock compared to some with the Classified. Last I checked, I was number 6 with a board that cost half as much and that was only at 4420.

Last edited:
What we really need to do is band together to stop Global Warming to improve our overclocks! (or move to Antarctica, great ambient temps and it is very dry, some places have had no rain for 2 million years! :p)

But yeah, the evga is an e-peen thing. Just stick to a mid range board, you will be fine.

im also trying to make this decision. im not really sure what to go with... im not planning on doing a super oc.... but maby to 4.5... which one does a better job of that? another thing affecting my desision is the pci slots and the amount of sata ports :(

Read the posts above, everything has been answered already.
I have a 950 and even with the extra multi the only time I go above 4.2Ghz is for benching, and even then it's only to 4.6-4.7GHz. Unless you're going to be cooling with Ln2 or Dry Ice, 4.5Ghz IS a super oc, and not something you'll want to be running 24/7. Assuming you even get it there.
Go with the P6T-D, it's a very good board. Unless the PCIe and Sata port situation isn't going to work for you, in which case look for something else.

Hello guys
I would like to know if the p6t that i now own.Ok i had a P6t deluxe and something happen within 30 days of purchase . Frys swaped it out with a P6T other one not stocked @time. I feel my gameing slowed down not sure.the other one i had was 16 times pci?. Have i gone wrong.Dont know what iam doing.Should i change back to the deluxe. or better.

They swapped you for a cheaper board....:( I'd be upset.

However, I doubt there would be any difference in performance that you would be aware of, unless there's something wrong with it ;)

Back