• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5Q-Pro USB Over current problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lenix

Hello,

My hardware was outside of the case for testing some hardware etc.. When I put everything back into the case I started having this error when I first boot up the system "USB Device Over Current Status Detected, computer will shutdown in 15 seconds"

I googled the problem and everybody is saying that there should be something shorting the usb ports or whatever...

I took out all the hardware outside the case and now I tested it on my bench, same problem is happening... nothing is connected to the mobo except cpu+memory+gpu... im booting the pc using a screwdriver.. but no luck.

Any ideas guys?

i had a similar error once and it was because a faulty mouse was plugged in :shrug:
possible check the usb headers on the motherboard are not being shorted..or nothing stuch in the usb ports??

can the protection not be disabled in bios?

:comp: hmm just saw the new smilies :clap:

i
can the protection not be disabled in bios?

Nope, its hardwired by design, infact a good mobo design will automatically shutdown if it reached certain threshold to prevent overloading.

Fyi, USB standard specficiation is maxed out at 500mA.

Other suggestion, check all usb headers at the mobo for any bent pin that is touching nearby pin.

Like antipesto93 mentioned, the error is caused by a grounding issue. Check the ATX I/O shield to make sure it's installed properly, and check the USB jumpers on the board to make sure they're inserted correctly.

Thanks guys
It turned to be a usbpwr jumper missing.. seems like it fell while I was putting the hardware back into the case.. found the jumper on my bed :O

Back