• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Annoying EVGA 680i SLI problem. Error code "2B" & "7F"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

necrokiller

I really can't figure out the root of the problem. Upon restart or boot up, my EVGA 680i SLI randomly gives me error and refuses to get to POST check up. The on-board LED codes say '7F' which according to the manual is a POST check-up error. Upon research, I further found out that, it gives a loud beep on error code "2B", which is "Initialize Video" before it gets to "7F".

Before I found out that it might be related to the GPU, I would swap the RAM in different slots, at times one in each slot...it would be a temp. solution. Sometimes it would start working with both RAMs in the slots as well. So maybe RAMs are out of the equation.

I reseated the GPU and everything but to no avail. I used a different set of 2 x 6-pin connectors and it worked. I changed some hard disk boot order settings in the BIOS and upon restart, it started giving me the same loop of error again. No maybe the PSU is out of the question as well? I bought it less than 6 months ago brand new.

Right now, I get the same error loud beep on "2B" and then the final message "7F" and screen stays blank and GPU fan spins at full speed. Can you guys figure out the root of the problem? Motherboard? GPU? PSU? This is getting really annoying for me. I don't have any other GPUs to test on the system. And I can't replace (RMA) any part without knowing which is causing the problem.

http://www.tech-forums.net/pc/f77/evga-680i-board-error-code-7f-161863/

This is the exact problem I'm encountering. The second post with possible solutions from other forums have provided some insight but I can't jump to any conclusion. The system clocks in my rig are only the highest benchable speeds I got. I run it at stock speeds 24/7.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks

EDIT: Found some more info on this. Everything seems to be pointing towards to the GPU.

Error code 7F
Solution: The worst error code you can get, since its almost always a problem with one of the pieces of hardware you've plugged into the motherboard. Most common causes are:

1. GPU is not securely placed into the PCI-E slot. Reseat the GPU and ensure it has external power if required.
2. Memory isn't securely placed, try reseating it. Alternatively the memory might not play ball - follow the solution above (computer won't boot).
3. PSU insufficient, ensure the PSU you have is branded and has sufficient output on each rail for the components you have installed. Its easy to overload one rail a little too much on some PSUs.
4. Connection loose somewhere - reseat everything to make sure its all secure.
3 short beeps, 1 longer one.
Related issues: BIOS error code is 7F.
Solution: The GPU is not securely placed into the PCI-E slot, or is broken. If it is securely fastened into the slot, try testing with another GPU, preferably a PCI one.

Note: The longer beep here is on error code "2B", finally leading to "7F".

Last edited:
Have you tried the GPU in both PCI-E slots to test if it's your current PCI-E?

Have you tried a different GPU or put your GPU in another system?

Have you tried the GPU in both PCI-E slots to test if it's your current PCI-E?
I remember trying that before. It goes upto the BIOS but it says the GPU is in the wrong slot so it won't start. So I guess it must be in the current slot for it to work.

Have you tried a different GPU or put your GPU in another system?
I don't have a spare GPU...or any other rig that could handle it. I would have to take apart the PSU as well.

Back