• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Have to cycle the PSU???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brainwasher

Registered
Anyone know why I have to cycle my power supply from the switch on the supply to get a system to boot?

I have a Intel Core2duo on a Gigabyte EP45-DS3L. E8400 Proc. Multi @ 9x / 1.2volt, Bus speed 333MHz, FSB 1333, running Corsair XMS DDR2 800. Memory Cas 5-5-5-18 2T. Voltage is supposed to be set at 1.8, but when I approach anything over 1.5 it has issues. If I keep it at these settings, when I do a normal boot it loops, hanging up on the mem check. But if I switch the PSU off at and back on then it will boot first try. What am I messing up here?

Any help would be great. If anyone has any ideas on my setting for this Bios please help!!

Brainwasher, the 1.8 value is the stock voltage. you don't need to mess with the mch volts at stock.

Actually, sine you're running at stock speeds you can leave it all on auto. Press f7 to load failsafe defaults

have you tried unplugging the power cable from the psu, then poping out the bios battery and then holding the power button for 10 seconds so it completely clears the CMOS and then reenter your settings?

Verify (and change if necessary) the following settings using a default FSB of 333MHz, running a 333 MCH Strap w/ a 2.40B DRAM multiplier...

Code:
DRAM Performance Control
Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD]
Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: N/A
(G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: 333 mhz
System Memory Multiplier ..............: 2.40B
Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 800
DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

Standard Timing Control
CAS Latency Time........................: 5
tRCD .........................................: 5
tRP'...........................................: 5
tRAS..........................................: 18
Command Rate (CMD) ....................: 2

DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............: 1.800V

ohh. We're completely ignoring the issue the OP is having with power cycling.

I had the same issue, changed the memory divider set (a,b,c,d) and it went away. I think it's something to do with the FSB strap. A firmware update may solve it.

Tried all of your ideas guys. Same thing, have to cycle power supply to get to boot. Hmm, maybe bad board. Should have stayed with ASUS deluxe

Start removing components... everything except for one stick of RAM installed to the first DIMM slot, CPU, videocard, and keyboard (installed to the PS2 port; disconnect all components from the USB hubs). Disconnect opticals, HDD's, PCI / PCI-E cards, case fans, etc.

On my Gigabyte board, the one I'm using atm, I cannot have my usb cable hooked up from the Dell monitor. It hangs at boot.
Do you have any "powered" usb devices plugged in.
If so, unplug one at a time to locate source.

OnDb, you nailed it. Sorry it took so long to get to this. Just noticed it on my user cp. I had a Sony old flash drive via usb. Disconnected and havent looked back since. Thanks a ton, and all others who chimed in. These Gigabyte boards do not like powerd usb on boot.

Back