• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Rampage II Gene build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spyd3r

Hey all,

Good to be back. I've been trying to read up as much as possible about the different x58 mobos but honestly after numerous hours of research (easily over 20 hours) I still can't find the "best one" or the "best value for money" so this is the motherboard I'm planning on purchasing.

It seems that it interacts with memory really well according to some benchmarks and reviewers don't seem to have problems getting it to overclock well.

I already bought the i7 920 and the G.Skill Trident 3x2gb 2000mhz speed memory. I have read that Elpida chips don't hit high clocks with this motherboard but it seems that lower speeds + lower latency = better than higher speeds but looser timings. Any comments on that?

The case I'm selecting is the HAF 922 or the Antec Mini P180. I'm going to put an extra fan over the memory/motherboard chips (whatever they are called - northbridge/southbridge) and then I'll be going for the quick and easy 4ghz+. I want to get back into overclocking so this will be very fun. I'll be using the TRUE 120 black (on order right now).

I think I'll go with the 5870 video card even though the 5970 looks tempting. I don't game a huge amount but with university finishing up, maybe I could reward myself with the 5970. :thup:

Any advice/feedback would be much appreciated. I'm planning on ordering the motherboard tonight so that I can get the build done up this weekend. I don't really have budget limitations but while I know the rampage II extreme has more power phases, would you guys really say it's worth it to go with that? Would the Asus II gene respond well if I ever wanted to go with extreme cooling?

Im no expert but this is what I've figured...

• Gigabyte UD5 is a very good, stable board for it's price...
  • Gigabyte X58 extreme is pretty awsome too and has very good cooling...
  • If your only going to get one GPU the EVGA X58 SLI LE is also a very good choice...
  • If you want a micro ATX board the rampage II gene is very good as well as the EVGA X58 Micro...

As for the rampage II extreme... its awsome... and good for extreme cooling... I was planning on getting it myself... but It doesn't match my color scheme vey well.

The most common high performer for a good price is the ASUS P6T v2

^^ ALL OF THESE BOARDS SHOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM GETTING AN i7 920 TO 4GHz ^^

Thanks guys. I'm still not sure which mobo but the Gene is cheapish and so I wouldn't feel so bad trying to mod it later on (ie. a few weeks later). :cool:

So that's what i'm leaning towards. I just want to get this system up and running first though. I don't think I'll get the classified. The UD5 looks tempting though for $80Cdn more and the more power filtering but I don't know how this all equates to a more stable system. It seems that lots of the systems out there are already super stable given temperatures and voltages are controlled decently.

I'll post whatever I get though and then probably post my overclocking results, etc, here.

Back