• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I want a board with 7 PCI-E slots....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

And a few other options as well.

For a while now, I've wanted another motherboard that will only run four video cards. This would be primarily for folding, but I'd like to be able to overclock it heavily as well. My previous four card motherboard unfortunately was not very overclock-able.

I've been looking primarily at the EVGA four-way SLI Classified. The E762 specifically here. Though admittedly the $500 price tag is holding me back a bit. But it looks like I'm going to have a nice large tax refund (I had some over withholding on something), so I might be able to get this after the first of the year. The other motherboard that looks like it can do what I want is the ASUS P6T7, here, for about $100 less.

I plan on building first a benching station, and then later a custom case to put it in.

I realize that not many people here have that much experience with either of these boards, but I'm looking for ways to get the most out of my purchase. I figure I'll get a 920 processor, as it looks like a lot of people have had good luck overclocking them.

I will be water cooling the processor. I've noticed that at least for the EVGA, there is a water block that replaces most of the cooling for the motherboard. I've been limited before by not having enough active cooling for the chipsets on my motherboard. Is this a good addition for this motherboard? Am I likely to get any additional benefit for the additional cooling?

Also, feel free to chime in with any suggestions I might have missed.

I'm going to add them one at a time, and probably only have them air cooled, but I plan on running 4 GTX 295 cards in this system eventually. And yes, I'll probably have to PSU's as well. The video cards are for folding, but I will game occasionally. Though I don't plan on trying for four-way SLI.

Thanks in advance for your help.

7 PCI-E's for folding!?
*slowly makes way toward straight jacket*

You could also look at getting a GD-70 Open box and do an AMD machine.
It would probably do just as well and would save you some cash

*edit*
The GD-70 only has 4 pci-E

Last edited:
7 PCI-E's for folding!?
*slowly makes way toward straight jacket*

You could also look at getting a GD-70 Open box and do an AMD machine.
It would probably do just as well and would save you some cash

Hey, I'll only be able to use 4 of the slots since I'll be using double-slot cards. Unless I water-cool the video cards. But I'm not quite ready to spend about $1100 for waterblocks....

Back