• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My foray into xtreme cooling..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nightelph

After begging a friend for over a year to make me a pot once he got machine shop access, he presented me with this. Its made from barstock Al with the bottom press-fitted in. The round, lapped part you see sticking down from the square mount has a similar round piece that was pressed into the column. The bottom plate is once piece. I've finally put parts together for a benching rig which I will put together this weekend. I intend to use dry ice as it is readily available. More pictures to follow.

Rig specs:

CPU: E3200 2.4ghz, 800mhz fsb, 1mb
MOBO: Gigabyte DS3L P35
RAM: 2x1gb Crucial PC8500
PSU: Corsair TX750
VID: eVGA 7950GT

Please post! I want to hear what you think of the pot and the rig. I've never done xtreme cooling before. I have found some great links on mobo insulation guides.

4321.jpg

4323.jpg

4324.jpg

4325.jpg

Last edited:
Exellent start ! that is one nice Thick walled tube ,I bet it will handel LN2 just fine :) let the Diceing begin !

I've been spending some time on XS and am learning a lot of things fast. For starters I need to drill a hole in the base of my pot for a temp sensor.. which I don't have.

Last edited:
Congratulations on entering the world of extreme cooling!

If you're going to start with DI (which I'd recommend) you usually won't need a thermometer. With a new pot, one may be useful to see how it holds a load though.

Do you know how thick the base is? Is it the same as the walls? Is the bottom flat inside?

Thanks. Bottom is flat inside, base is same thickness as walls.

Frosty pic testing it for the first time for fun:

photo-1.jpg

Last edited:
Still alive, just busy. Throwing an 800mhz fsb cpu into a 1333mhz board makes OC'ing hella easy. The chip will have to go to 4ghz before passing 333mhz FSB, which means I won't have to start giving the board more juice until then. Should really make the limiting factor in the OC the cpu and my skill. Thing is, to start oc'ing the board I need a better hsf than the retail intel one.. More $$.

You probably already know this, but your adventures into the world of extreme cooling would make a great front page article ;)

Alas this project never made it off the ground. Now I'm getting married in less than a month and I've sold off the parts! Except for the cooler that is. I still have hope..

Well, go figure. As soon as I sell off all those parts.. I get the ITCH! The itch to OC something! I re-bought some parts and this rig is going back together! I bought the same mobo. PSU is different, its a 400w corsair.

I think I have a another victim to experiment on coming my way.. A 2.13ghz/2MB/1066mhz 65nm Conroe. :) A freebie too!

Edit: Secured.

Edit: Fluke probe bought, hole in pot drilled. Remainder of gear doesn't get in till the 13th or so, and I'm getting married a few days later so I won't have any frost for a good two weeks from this post edit.

Last edited:
Oh man....I didn't think there were any updates....cause you were editing your post instead of adding replys :screwy: I'm glad things are still moving :santa:

Oh, and congrats on tieing the knot :D

:D Back from the wedding. Cheapo vid card I was intending on using is dead. Picking one up from Neuromancer in the classies.

Back