• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xfx 780sli

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

redend

Registered
Hi, im in the process of building by first ever rig as ive only just accumalated teh money to do so but run into a slight problem, i have a q9650 in stock cooling in the xfx 780sli but whenever i try to boot the computer i either get instant fail (FF) or the computer will boot to code 20 and stop does anyone have any ideas why this is ?

cheers everyone for looking

thanks for replying, but yes its definately just 20 in the boot code, and when i get ff i mean thats all i get the computer wont run through any toher startup routines

cheers

If you've already tried resetting CMOS without success, then start removing and disconnecting components until it POSTs. Besides the CPU, install only one stick of RAM in the DIMM slot closest to the CPU, and only one video card. Remove any other PCI / PCI-E cards, disconnect HDD's (SATA and IDE), opticals, floppy, and anything connected via the USB hubs (connect only the keyboard if it can't be plugged in via the PS2 port).

ive already tried this but i have not had a keyboard plugged in, this is a noob question but will that change the outcome at all ?

Just try to plug the keyboard into the PS2 port, in order to take the USB hubs out of the equation. So w/ just the CPU, one stick of RAM, and one video card installed, it still won't POST? In addition to the 24-pin ATX power connector, do you also have the PSU plugged into the 8-pin ATX_12V power connector?

Edit: And I assume you have the CPU fan connected to the CPU_Fan header?

Last edited:
yes on all counts it refuses to post, thats with 1 stick ram etc, even with and without a cooler on the cpu there is no change, do you reckon this may be a case of a dodgy processor ?

The only other thing I can think of trying is in addition to removing power to the PSU, drain the CAPs by holding the power button in for a few seconds. Then proceed to move the CMOS jumper from pins 1 -2 to pins 2-3 to reset, but in addition also remove the battery. Leave the battery out and the CMOS jumper on pins 2-3 for at least a couple of minutes. Reinstall the jumper on pins 1-2 and install the battery.

to be honest ive done this about 10 times and it hasnt made any difference, sorry man

Why Intel? If its even attempting to post, it shouldnt be the CPU, right? Or have you confirmed the board works with another chip? Or vice versa with the CPU?

the comp will post with a celeron 440 processor so it must be the chip (i only found the celeron late yesterday sitting at the bottom of a drawer so i thought id give it a go)

Back