• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

motherbaord unstable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hafi7975

Registered
I have a EVGA X58 Classified BL E760 -A1 with 2000mhz corsair dominator ram and the bios is running it at 1867mhz xmp profile and once i go over this speed i get a blue screen is this the memory or something else doing this i am new to this overclocking and can somebody please help me out with overclocking my i7 975 extreme chip as it is just sitting on this overclocking motherboard and i am not sure what to do the bios has some much overclocking tools like Vdroop and so on i am stuck can i overclock this system i have spent $8000 on this system after my alienware rig i have had for 4 years still going strong but i needed to update to this rig
CPU: i7 975 extreme
MB: evga classified x58 E760
Ram: Corsair domminator cm3x2g2000c8gt 6gb
Cooling: swiftech kit complete apogee gtz waterblock rev 2 + evga chipset waterblock + mosfets
Graphics: 2 x Evga gtx 295 OC
Power: Revolution 1250 watts
HD 1 velociraptor 300gb 10,000rpm
2 x Western digital Black edition 1TB raid 0
Sound: Xi-Fi titnm fatality
Case: HAF 932

Last edited:
Welcome to OCF! :welcome:

Nice system you have there. To start, try not using the XMP profile on your RAM. Set the voltage, multiplier and timings all manually. The timings should be on the package or on the RAM itself. XMP profiles don't always behave themselves, especially when overclocked.

At a default BCLK of 133MHz running a memory multiplier of 14x = 1862MHz DRAM frequency. The next multiplier is 16x which while still at 133MHz = 2128MHz DRAM frequency, which is higher than what your RAM is capable of at the XMP profile timings and voltage. In order to hit 2000MHz DRAM frequency, up the BCLK to 143MHz = 2002MHz DRAM frequency using the 14x multiplier = 3.57GHz clock speed. You may need to up the QPI/VTT voltage (AUTO = 1.23V I believe) by 100 - 200mV = 0.1 - 0.2V to 1.33 - 1.43V at a DRAM voltage of 1.65V. Manually set the four primary RAM timings to 8-8-8-24 also (all sub-timings on AUTO).

thanks

thanks for the response and info as you can see i am very new to overclocking even though being a programmer not very good at overclocking so any help would be apprciated to all, i have doen what you have said and turned off the xmp profile and all good no blue screens at start up, thanks

help

I have noticed that the bios has Vdroop and i have checked out what it means saftey reg, changing any of these settings without Vdroop will affect the speed? and what is a good overclocking tool for on the fly oc, or do i have to do it manually in bios as i am not sure how to do this manually i am afraid to ----c it up or do something bad i have a bios reset swithc on my ECP board that came with my MB EVGA and i have installed on my case (front 5 - 1/4 bay) it has bells and whistles but is quiet good for resets, is there any info on how to OC the CPU manually i have never done this before or is it better on the fly, what is a safe stable limit pn my CPU i7 975 extreme when i bought this i was advised that it was not to bad to OC is this true i am not sure as it is very quick without OC it but i would like to take it to say 4.1 mhz or highe if it is capable of doing so, hope to get a response very appreciated.

Welcome to OCF! :welcome:

Nice system you have there. To start, try not using the XMP profile on your RAM. Set the voltage, multiplier and timings all manually. The timings should be on the package or on the RAM itself. XMP profiles don't always behave themselves, especially when overclocked.
so yourself seems you know what u are talking about i have tryed the xmp turn off and all good is there anything else you can offer for my system in OC it or just leave it, is it able to go to 4.6mhz or not ? what is the best way to OC this manually or On the fly with a programme i have EVGA OC tool seems ok .

thks

Wow

At a default BCLK of 133MHz running a memory multiplier of 14x = 1862MHz DRAM frequency. The next multiplier is 16x which while still at 133MHz = 2128MHz DRAM frequency, which is higher than what your RAM is capable of at the XMP profile timings and voltage. In order to hit 2000MHz DRAM frequency, up the BCLK to 143MHz = 2002MHz DRAM frequency using the 14x multiplier = 3.57GHz clock speed. You may need to up the QPI/VTT voltage (AUTO = 1.23V I believe) by 100 - 200mV = 0.1 - 0.2V to 1.33 - 1.43V at a DRAM voltage of 1.65V. Manually set the four primary RAM timings to 8-8-8-24 also (all sub-timings on AUTO).
My god i did not know this machine has all this in the bios but hopefully i can do this by doing this to the ram will it increase system performance by much as it is running at 1867mhs all on auto will it be as stable as it is know after turning off the xmp profile to standard and in my bios i am looking for the timmings to change such as 8-8-8-24 or ? can it run lower or is it better to set it to this spec, thanks for response as well very appreciated dp .com AUS

my cpu tools says, CPU 3449mhz QPI 132mhz CPU VCORE 1.22 NB CORE 1.13V on my ecp panel i have 3 blue buttons when i turn them on nothing seems to happen the only thing is my cpu gets hotter not much but enough to see it on my ECP led , I hope i have bought the correct motherboard for doing this OC and the info i gathered syas this board is ok hope its true.

Good morning. An associate of mine actually did a review on the classified and overclocked his to a respectable 4.2GHz. Here is the overclocking section of his review. It has BIOS templates he needed to reach those clocks. Note due to time constraints he didn't test them for stability for very long, just a half hour of prime, so they may or may not prove totally stable.

Bear in mind that every CPU, MB and RAM are different. What works for one may not work for another...and it can vary quite a bit. He had a pretty darn good CPU. This is just a starting point. You will almost certainly need to tweak your settings further. At the least, this will give you a decent base to start OCing your own setup from.

Good morning. An associate of mine actually did a review on the classified and overclocked his to a respectable 4.2GHz. Here is the overclocking section of his review. It has BIOS templates he needed to reach those clocks. Note due to time constraints he didn't test them for stability for very long, just a half hour of prime, so they may or may not prove totally stable.

Bear in mind that every CPU, MB and RAM are different. What works for one may not work for another...and it can vary quite a bit. He had a pretty darn good CPU. This is just a starting point. You will almost certainly need to tweak your settings further. At the least, this will give you a decent base to start OCing your own setup from.
thanks for that info , i will start to OC it a bit more i have been told not to go over 1.65 v on my ram voltage and i have only been playing around with the cpu tool i got with the board EVGA so no worries thanks for your advise taken on><

That's correct, do not go over 1.65Vdimm (RAM voltage). You could kill the memory controller on your chip. Also, I'd suggest using BIOS for overclocking and then Eleet just for fine tuning and experimenting once you're in the OS. Take note of the changes you make with Eleet and then implement them in your BIOS when satisfied.

Back