• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem saving settings in bios with my P4P 800 SE...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

amdfreak04

Hey Everyone,

I've been running this computer for quite a while at stock settings with my centrino chip .. (1.6gh dothran with ct-479 adapter)

I just tried to overclock it at an easy overclock of 2.4ghz on stock voltage as it has done without breaking a sweat in the past .. and for some reason the bios won't save the settings i try to apply ...

I've done all the following;

Flashed to bios to older/newer revisons ... nothing
removed cmos battery; used jumper pin.. nothing..

checked all power connections ( noticed a purple in on my atx power supply was a little lose .. however no damage or anything .. motherboard works fine ..

now get this ..

if i put my p4 chip 2.4ghz and overclock it to 3ghz .. i can save the settings & everything in the bios perfectly !!! ..

why is this happening ?? .. i think it could be the ct-479 adapter? .. i've posted in the WTB section to see if i could find another one to see if it fixes the problem .. there is absoloutly nothing wrong with it at all .. it has worked for me in the past .. i just has suddenly stopped working.. and not allowing me to save my bios settings ... did i miss anything??

I've found a good thread on this with someone with a similar problem

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...age=en-us&page=1&board_id=1&model=P5Q SE PLUS

-steveo

Last edited:
would be odd that changing the cmos battery if OP can change the settings and save/exit with a different chip in the socket..

So the problem in the linked threads was a PSU? Did I read that correctly? And how would that impact the CT-479 adapter so as to make you think you need a new one?

I don't know why a PSU would affect the saving of a BIOS, if the CMOS battery is good. The logic evades me there.

One quick question...do you have the CT-479 set to the right FSB for your CPU? Isn't there a jumper to choose between 400 or 533? Perhaps it is missing the jumper and defaults to the wrong clock speed and maybe that is creating a problem for you?

So the problem in the linked threads was a PSU? Did I read that correctly? And how would that impact the CT-479 adapter so as to make you think you need a new one?

I don't know why a PSU would affect the saving of a BIOS, if the CMOS battery is good. The logic evades me there.

One quick question...do you have the CT-479 set to the right FSB for your CPU? Isn't there a jumper to choose between 400 or 533? Perhaps it is missing the jumper and defaults to the wrong clock speed and maybe that is creating a problem for you?

i've tried setting is both at 400 FSB & 533 FSB ... same result for both :rain:

-steve

I don't know what to think about this. I guess that it is possible that the adapter could be bad, but since you are selling the board and chip, and it works with a regular P4, I don't know why you would want to go buy another adapter.

If I were in your shoes I would just retest the mobo with the 2.4 to be sure that it works completely and then sell it, disclosing that there was an issue when running a CT-479 and leave it at that.

It doesn't make sense to me to go out and buy another adapter when you're trying to get rid of this rig to begin with. Again, just my opinion.

I don't know what to think about this. I guess that it is possible that the adapter could be bad, but since you are selling the board and chip, and it works with a regular P4, I don't know why you would want to go buy another adapter.

If I were in your shoes I would just retest the mobo with the 2.4 to be sure that it works completely and then sell it, disclosing that there was an issue when running a CT-479 and leave it at that.

It doesn't make sense to me to go out and buy another adapter when you're trying to get rid of this rig to begin with. Again, just my opinion.

Hey

I played with my rig a little yesterday .. i put on my regular p4 2.4ghz chip with the IHS removed ... and was able to save bios settings .. and even get a 3ghz o/c no problem .. to bad there is no unlocked multiplier for this chip .. at least thats what i'm aware of ..

thanks
-steve

Yep, the P4s, unless they were of the ES variety, all had locked multis.

Again, since the board seems to be working fine, I would just continue with your sale, minus the adapter, and call it a day. Don't see any benefit to spending money to find out whether or not the adapter is faulty.

Back