• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS P5K-VM won't stay booted.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

weetoots

The computer started this AM, but when I went back to use it later it wouldn't wake up. It was not put to sleep, it's pwr light was on and the hard drive light was on. It has been doing this for the past week. I would pwr off and restart and all is good. Once when I rebooted, the bios screen said Ineeded to go back into Bios setup. I have also had to reset the CMOS, and then re-do the BIOS and everything would work.

Today I again had to clear the CMOS but now it won't even get to the BIOS. I checked the battery, 3.2v, checked the PS and the 5v is 4.77. 12v is 12.07 and 3v is 3.14.

Not sure what the problem is, so I need your sage advice.

MB=Asus K5P-VM
Intel E4400
Corsair 667mhz, 2Gb
Antec 550 true control PS
WDC10EADS 1T

TIA

Al

SOLVED

Finally got the speaker to beep, 1 long, 3 short. Memory problem. However, I know it is good. So it is a bad bd.

I'm with red in a way, i think it might be one of the ram sticks. while you say you ran memtest 86 a few days ago, (being captain obvious here) this isnt a few days ago. unless your trying to say that this first started to happen a few days ago and you ran memtest86 to make sure. while i get the feeling it is the ram or some issue with bios/ram interaction. i also wonder if the psu might be old enough to have capacitor leakage/bulging. in which case it could/can cause issues you will not see from taking voltage readings.

what is bd? im thinking blueray but im not sure that is it..

Back